Landlord emergency cover
Landlord home emergency cover is offered as an optional extra on most landlord home insurance policies. It can help recoup the cost of out-of-hours callouts and subsequent repair fees that can result from emergency situations.
Landlord emergency cover policies provide emergency assistance 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. So if your tenant suffers a burst water pipe on Christmas Day, you should be able to get it sorted.
If you choose to opt for home emergency cover, bear in mind that limits and exclusions vary between insurance providers. Typically, however, you’ll be covered for situations such as:
- plumbing and heating problems (aside from normal wear and tear), burst pipes and boiler breakdowns
- water mains or electricity supply failure
- roof damage that causes a sudden leak
- blocked drains and sewer problems
- damage to the property’s doors, locks or windows that compromises security
- sudden pest infestation
- gaining tenant access after losing keys
Most policies also cover overnight, alternative accommodation costs if the emergency makes the property unsafe or unfit to live in.
Frequently asked questions
What isn’t covered by landlord home emergency insurance?
Landlord emergency cover is only valid for unexpected emergencies. It won’t cover:
- routine maintenance and repairs
- wear and tear costs
- damage caused by faulty workmanship or DIY
- damage as a result of a malicious or intentional act
- annual boiler servicing
- in some cases, the cost of permanent repairs once the emergency has been resolved
- faults, damage or pest infestations you were aware of when you purchased cover
- repairs already covered by your general buildings and contents insurance
- properties left unoccupied for a set period (usually more than 30 consecutive days)
- electricity failure caused by a power cut
Always read the policy terms and conditions for a detailed list of what is and what isn’t covered, before you buy.
How much does landlord emergency cover cost?
Costs and cover levels vary between insurance providers, and may also depend on the limit of cover per claim and which specific emergencies are covered by a policy.
How do I compare landlord emergency cover?
It takes minutes to compare landlord emergency cover with Compare the Market. Just give us a few details about you and your rental property and we’ll send you a list of suitable quotes to choose from.