Office insurance

What is office insurance?

Office insurance could protect your business against unexpected events related to your workplace. This could include cover for the loss of, or damage to, your equipment in the event of a fire, flood or theft at your premises. Office insurance could also protect your business against the cost of any legal claims made by your employees or the public. 

What kind of office insurance do I need?

There are four main areas of insurance that you might be interested in if your business operates from an office:

  • Your premises and equipment: These will be covered by buildings and contents insurance.
  • People: The general public and your employees (if any). If your business has one employee or more, it’s a legal requirement that you have employers’ liability insurance. If you have customers on your premises, you may want public liability insurance.
  • Your reputation: If you provide advice or professional services to clients (accountants, architects and lawyers, for example), professional indemnity insurance is there to protect you if you’re sued for a perceived mistake in your work. It covers the legal costs and expenses needed to defend your business.
  • Your finances: Some people like to protect against events that could interfere with trading, by taking out business interruption insurance.

Frequently asked questions

How do I find the right office insurance for my business?

No two offices are the same and the type of insurance you require will depend on: 

  • what your business does 
  • your turnover   
  • number of staff   
  • whether you have customers on the premises 
  • what kind of equipment and furniture you use in your office. 

If you want to compare office insurance quotes with Comparethemarket, it’s easy. We’ll ask you a few details about yourself, your office and the kind of cover you’re looking for, then give you a range of relevant quotes from insurance providers to compare.  

What office buildings and contents insurance will I need?

If you own your office premises, you’ll need to protect your property with buildings insurance. If the building is damaged by bad weather or a fire, you can claim for repairs or even the total cost of rebuilding. Buildings insurance also covers permanent fixtures, such as kitchen units, toilets and built-in cupboards and display cases.  
If you rent your office, you should check that your landlord has buildings insurance in place.   
Contents insurance essentially covers anything you’d take with you if you moved premises - such as desks, chairs and computers – and can provide protection against theft or damage. 
Make sure you calculate the value of your contents accurately, so you have enough cover in place. Don't forget any specialist equipment your business uses, or artwork that you’ve chosen to brighten up the space.  
It’s also worth checking whether your policy includes:

  • Accidental damage – including damage to glass or signage. 
  • Cover for the personal property of employees or visitors to your premises 
  • Portable equipment – for example, mobile phones and laptops that are taken away from the office 

If you keep stock on the premises, you might need to cover this with a separate policy. 

Do I need public liability insurance for my office?

If you have customers or guests visiting your premises, you should consider public liability insurance. 
As the business owner, you’re responsible for ensuring your office is as risk-free as possible. But accidents do happen. If you have public liability insurance and someone is injured at your office or their property is damaged, you could be covered for any compensation due to them – or legal costs if they were to take you to court.

Do I need employers' liability insurance for my office?

If you have one employee or more – even volunteers or freelancers working from your office – it’s a legal requirement to have employers’ liability insurance. This protects you if an employee has an accident or their property is damaged at work and they’re due compensation.   
The minimum level of cover in the UK is £5 million.

Do I need professional indemnity insurance for my office?

This depends on the kind of business you run. Professional indemnity insurance covers you if one of your clients loses money because you’ve been negligent in your advice, designs or professional services. If you handle client data, intellectual property or offer advice, this kind of cover is a worthwhile consideration. 
Some professional bodies insist that their members have this type of insurance in place, as do some regulators for the businesses they regulate. 
See more on professional indemnity insurance. 

​​Do I need office insurance if I run my business from home?

If you run your business from home, your home insurance may not be sufficient to cover equipment, such as computers, and any stock. And it won't offer cover should a customer or colleague have an accident while in your home.

If you work from home it's important to tell your home insurance provider, to check your level of cover and make sure you don't invalidate your policy.

Learn more about working from home.​ 

Do I need insurance if I work in a co-working space?

​​If you work from a shared working space, the owner of the building should have insurance to cover the personal possessions of anyone using it, as well as public liability insurance to cover accident or injury. However, it’s always worth checking to make sure you and your belongings are insured.

​Do I need insurance against cyber crime?

Around a third (32%) of UK businesses reported a cyber security breach in 2019.

If your business holds sensitive data, such as names, addresses or bank details, a cyber security breach could come at a huge financial cost, as well as damage relationships with your customers and suppliers.

A good cyber insurance policy will protect your business against the risks of cyber-related hacking and fraud, offering you protection against everything from data breaches to the cost of business interruption in the event that your business is unable to operate.

Take our cyber security challenge to find out how vulnerable you are to cyber crime.

What other types of cover are available?

There’s a few more options you might want to think about, including:

  • Insurance for cash
    If your business deals in cash, you can choose whether this covers money at the business or in transit during office hours, and/or cash left locked up in the office overnight.
  • Business interruption insurance
    Business interruption insurance provides funds to keep you going if your company can’t trade for an unexpected reason (but be aware that COVID-19-related claims are unlikely to be covered). You’ll need to choose how much cover you want and the length of interruption period you’d like to cover.
  • Legal cover
    Allows you to claim for the cost of legal action against another party. It can help with situations like employment tribunals, tax investigations, legal disputes with customers or suppliers, and debt recovery. This can be included in your business policy, but not always. Check the details of a policy if you’re interested in this type of cover.

How can I compare insurance quotes?

Just start a quote with us and we’ll help you find the most competitive prices for the different types of insurance you might need for your company.

What do I need to get a quote? 

Just answer a few questions about: 

  • your business 
  • your employees  
  • the type of cover you want. 

We’ll show you a range of quotes so you can compare and choose the right option for you.

Start a quote

Why use Comparethemarket?

Get a quote in minutes Rated 4.8/5 On Trustpilot[1]

[1] As of October 2022, Comparethemarket had an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 from 22,236 people who left a review on Trustpilot. The score 4.8 corresponds to the Star Label ‘Excellent’.

Emily Kindness

Business insurance expert

​What our expert says

"While perhaps less dangerous than a building site, offices have their own risks to protect yourself against. Modern offices are often filled with expensive tech, which means you're going to want to protect it against damage. Don't forget to cover the staff who work there, too!"