Working from home insurance

There are lots of perks to working from home, such as minimal commuting costs and peace and quiet so you can get the job done. But not having the right insurance could put your business at risk. Here’s what you need to consider.

Do I need insurance if I work from home?

Depending on your circumstances, working from home could mean you have different insurance needs. If you work in an office but do the odd day from home, your standard home insurance policy is likely to meet your needs. On the other hand, if you run a business from home and your home is your business premises, you may need a separate business insurance policy, especially if you have employees or customers coming in and out of your property. 

Does my home insurance cover me if I work from home?

Taking your laptop home occasionally and working from the sofa has little effect on your home insurance. As home insurance policies often come with an amount of business equipment cover, your laptop will be covered as long as the equipment is owned by you or is your legal responsibility. However, if the laptop is owned by the company you work for, it may not be covered under your home insurance policy. 

What type of insurance do I need for my home business?

Many policies combine various different types of cover and it’s important to choose one that best reflects your home business insurance needs. Consider any particularly expensive equipment you have or whether you keep stock on the premises. It’s also worth bearing in mind the kind of service and benefits your insurance provider offers – such as a 24-hour helpline or if there’s a no claims bonus feature. Here’s what you might need to consider:

But do I need it?

If you employ anyone or own any vehicles in connection with your business, then you’re legally obliged to have employers’ liability and motor insurance.

You might feel that running your business from home is as safe as houses, but accidents, damage and loss can occur wherever you are.

We can’t predict the future, but we can help you prepare for it, so use our business insurance comparison service and find the right deal for you today.