[]   Your account

Tilers public liability insurance

Tilers insurance

Whether it’s a customer cutting themselves on a lose tile or an employee becoming ill from inhaling dust, running a tiling business involves risk. Understand these risks and why it’s so important for tilers to have adequate business insurance in place.

Frequently asked questions

What insurance do tilers need?

There are a number of policies that can protect your business. These include public liability insurance and employers' liability cover, as well as business contents insurance and contract works insurance. Don't worry if you don't know what these are - our guide will tell you everything you need to know.

What is public liability cover?

Public liability insurance will protect your business if a member of the public or a customer sues you for injury or damage to their property due to negligence. So let's say you’ve tiled a bathroom floor and a customer slips on a loose tile, injuring themselves. The result could be an injury lawsuit, as well as a damages claim for lost earnings.

You’d need to find the money for legal fees and possibly compensation, which could be very expensive indeed.

You’re not legally required to have public liability insurance, but it could bring you significant peace of mind. Some customers may expect you to have public liability insurance before starting a job. Also, you should be able to claim the cost of it against tax.

What is employers’ liability cover?

If you have any employees who aren’t members of your immediate family, you’re legally obliged to have employers’ liability insurance.

It can pay out for any compensation or legal fees if an employee of yours suffers a work-related illness or injury.

Tilers can be exposed to lots of risks, including eye injuries from particles and dust, cuts and abrasions and falls from height – so there are plenty of reasons to be covered.

What happens if I don't have employers' liability insurance?

You can be fined a whopping £2,500 for every day you’re not insured. You can also be fined £1,000 if you don't display your certificate of employers’ liability insurance, or show it to an inspector if they ask. 

What else do I need to know?

Your policy must cover you for at least £5 million, and come from an authorised insurance provider. 

What if I’m self-employed?

In 2017, 37% of those working in skilled trades classified themselves as self-employed according to the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD). So, if you're a self-employed tiler, it's important that you sort out your own insurance as you don't have an employer to do it for you. 

These are some of the different types of cover to protect your income or business if something happened to you that are worth considering and deciding if you need them:

What other insurance would a tiler need?

As a tiler, you’ll have expensive equipment like an angle grinder, trowels, drills and other tools. Replacing them all at once would be pricey, which business tools insurance can protect you against. This can protect your equipment from eventualities such as fire, flood, storms, theft and vandalism.

You might also find you need contract works cover. This is useful if you take on big projects for other people. It covers work in progress on a site for problems including fire, flood, storms, theft and malicious damage.

Say you’ve been working on a major extension project and a storm damages the building. Without contract works insurance in place, you could find yourself having to do the work all over again, without pay. A contract works policy will cover both your time and any materials or fittings.

Finding the right insurance cover

We’re here to take the hard work out of comparing tiling insurance quotes. We’ll ask you a few questions about you and your business, then use it to tailor quotes to suit you.

Whether you’re a one-man operation or a big contracting firm, we have insurance providers that could offer you cover. If you'd like to speak to someone about your business needs, you can call 0800 316 3655 or request a callback.

Try it today. Compare tiling insurance quotes and get the right cover for you.

Other business insurance that tilers may be interested in…

Public liability insurance

Get cover against claims if someone is injured or property damaged as a result or your work.

Employers’ liability insurance

You are legally required to have this insurance even if you employ just one person.

Business interruption insurance

Insurance to help compensate you for loss of profits if your business is unable to operate for a period for some unexpected reason.

Business life insurance

Insurance designed to help your business carry on if something happens to you or the key people in your business.

Van insurance

A guide to LGV insurance for business.

Commercial property insurance

Protect your business premises.

Business contents insurance

Protect your business equipment.
Home office insurance

The insurance you need when you run your business from your home.

comparethemarket.com uses cookies to offer you the best experience online. By continuing to use our website, you agree to the use of cookies. If you would like to know more about cookies and how to manage them please view our privacy & cookie policy.