[]   Your account

I haven’t received an energy bill

I haven’t received an energy bill

If you haven’t received an energy bill in a while, you’re probably wondering how to rectify the situation. Here’s how to make sure you’re being billed on time and what you need to know about back-billing.

Peter Earl
From the Energy team
minute read
posted 7 FEBRUARY 2020

What should I do if I haven’t received an energy bill in a while?

It can be worrying if your energy supplier suddenly stops sending you bills or if you’ve never received an energy bill after moving house. If this happens, it’s important that you report it to your energy supplier directly, as soon as possible.

Choosing to take advantage of this kind of oversight rarely works in the customer’s favour, as energy suppliers can legally back-bill you for up to 12 months and bills can be for any amount.

If you’ve moved home, it’s important to let the energy supplier know you’ve taken over the supply in your new property. Take meter readings and contact them as soon as possible, so they can set up an account in your name.

What is back-billing?

Back-billing is when a supplier charges you for gas and electricity you’ve used that – for whatever reason – hasn’t been paid for.  

What are my rights when it comes to back-billing?

Ofgem, the government regulator for the UK energy market, has put rules in place to protect you when it comes to back-billing.

If, despite contacting your supplier repeatedly, they haven’t sent you a bill, they won’t be able to back-bill you for more than 12 months. You can state your rights, via email or letter, if they do. The only exception to this is if you’ve stopped the supplier from taking meter readings.

If you’re concerned that you’re not being treated fairly, you can contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 03454 04 05 06 for guidance.

What if I can’t afford to settle my back-bill?

If you simply can’t afford to pay the full amount owed on the back-bill, it’s important that you let your supplier know.

Most energy providers will offer you a payment plan that allows you to pay back your debt in smaller amounts. For example, if you receive a back-bill for a period of six months, you should be given six months to pay the outstanding amount back, in full.

I don’t know who my energy supplier is. How do I find out?

If you haven’t been receiving your energy bills and you don’t know who to contact, fear not. Read our guide to finding out who your supplier is.

You can use the Meter Point Administration’s online search tool, to find out who supplies your gas.

And you can find your electricity supplier using the Energy Networks Association postcode search tool. 

Is it time to switch your energy supplier?

If you’re tired of poor customer service or you’re keen to see if you can get a better energy deal, Compare the Market can help you to switch energy suppliers, and potentially save some money. Share a few details with us and compare suppliers today.

Compare energy suppliers

Get a quote in minutes and you could start saving

Get a quote
Compare energy suppliers in minutes and you could start saving Get a quote

comparethemarket.com uses cookies to offer you the best experience online. By continuing to use our website, you agree to the use of cookies. If you would like to know more about cookies and how to manage them please view our privacy & cookie policy.