Insuring your wedding dress with home contents cover

Your wedding dress is precious – before, during and after the big day – so you’ll want to protect it. Here’s how home insurance can help.

Your wedding dress is precious – before, during and after the big day – so you’ll want to protect it. Here’s how home insurance can help.

Helen Phipps
Insurance expert
minute read
Do you know someone who could benefit from this article?
Last Updated 21 MARCH 2022

Why might I want insurance for my wedding dress?

While everyone has their own budget for the big day, nobody can deny weddings are an expensive business, with a total average bill hovering around £20,000-£30,000. The dress is likely to account for over £1,000 of this – and could cost much more if it’s a designer number. 

That’s an expensive single item to have hanging in your wardrobe! So it’s vital to make sure you’re financially protected should things go wrong either before or after the big day.

Can I get wedding dress insurance? 

Yes, specialist wedding insurance will cover you for your wedding dress. But you may have cover under your home insurance policy too, so it’s important to check and compare.

Wedding insurance will typically cover you for a lost, stolen or damaged wedding dress from when the policy is taken out until a set period from the start of the ceremony. 

As well as your dress, these specialist policies can cover unforeseen events, including having to cancel your wedding under certain circumstances and loss of deposit if a supplier goes bust. 

When you’re choosing a policy, make sure it includes all the aspects of your wedding that you want to cover – it’s not just about the dress, even if it might feel that way sometimes. 

You can’t currently compare wedding insurance with us, but a quick online search can help you find options.

Does my home contents insurance cover my wedding dress?

Typically yes, your contents insurance will cover your wedding dress while it’s in your home. But there’s a couple of things you need to consider:

  • What’s the value of your dress? Home insurance policies have a limit on the most they’ll pay out for one item that’s not listed individually. If your dress is worth more than this, you’ll need to list it on the policy separately.
  • Do you need your dress covered outside of the house – at the ceremony and reception? You’ll need to check with your provider to see whether your home insurance policy can do this. If not, you’ll need to look for specialist insurance. 

As a general rule, insurance providers will make a deduction in value for items of clothing as they’re worn and depreciate in value over time. It’s worth checking your policy to see what deduction would be made for your dress.

If someone else will be looking after your dress before the wedding, make sure they’ll be covered by their own home insurance.

What does wedding dress insurance cover? 

With specialist wedding insurance, your wedding dress will typically be covered for loss or damage for a set time period before and after the wedding, as well as on the big day itself.

The time periods after the wedding can vary between a few hours to a couple of days. So you may want to think about when your dress will be stashed safely back at home. 

Wedding insurance can cover a hired bridal outfit too.

Top tip

When looking at wedding insurance policies look for the phrase wedding attire or ceremonial attire to see how your outfit will be financially protected. Don’t just look for wedding dress as some couples may choose a different look and the policy will cater for all tastes and traditions.

Do I need to list my wedding dress as a specific item on my insurance policy?

You’ll need to list your wedding dress separately if it’s worth over the single item limit. That’s the maximum the policy will pay out for any item not listed individually. 

The limit is usually around £1,000-£1,500, but it does vary from policy to policy so make sure to check yours.

Is my dress insured outside of the home?

It won’t usually be covered under a standard home insurance policy, but you may be able to add personal possessions cover to insure your dress outside of the home. You may also be able to arrange this for other items such as your engagement ring, phones and cameras.

Should I let my insurance provider know that I'm getting married?

It could be worth contacting your insurance provider to tell them you’re getting married if it’s likely that you’ll have additional high-value items in your home – such as wedding rings – in the lead up to the wedding. Providers also need to know if you’re changing your name. 

Some insurance providers will increase the value of your contents cover for the period around your wedding. You may need more cover in the long term if valuable wedding gifts have increased the value of the contents of your home. These things can soon add up and you wouldn’t want to find yourself underinsured.

How can I compare contents insurance?

There are some things you won’t be able to do anything about on the big day – like the weather and the best man’s speech. But making sure your wedding dress and other valuables are covered will give you peace of mind. Use our home insurance comparison tool today.

Compare home insurance

Get a home insurance quote in minutes and you could start saving

Get a quote
Get a quote in minutes and you could start saving Get a quote