Insurance when moving home | Compare The Market

Insurance when moving home

Get a whole year of Meerkat Meals & Meerkat Movies*

Get a whole year of Meerkat Meals & Meerkat Movies*

Welcome back
Your lowest price was Update your previous quote
An image of a house

Insurance when moving home

When you’re moving house, it’s important that you have right home insurance in place. And that applies to your new home and your contents throughout the move.

Am I covered by my home contents insurance when I move house?

Your contents insurance might include cover for your possessions when you move. Check your policy – it’s usually referred to as ‘contents temporarily removed from the home’ and there’s typically a limit on the amount of cover provided. If you’re unsure, it’s probably best to check with your insurance provider. If cover isn’t included in your existing policy, your provider may be able to add it.

Be aware that, typically, you’ll only be covered if you use a professional removal firm and any breakables will only be covered if they’ve been professionally packed. Your home insurance provider may also exclude certain items, such as cash, jewellery and valuable documents, so you might prefer to take these in your own car when you move.

What about insurance offered by the removal company?

If you arrange to move house with one of the larger removal firms, you might be offered insurance during the move (often at an additional price). This usually covers your items for the time that they’re under the control of the removal company, and covers them against damage or breakage due to an accident, fire, storm or theft. 

Are my belongings insured while they’re in storage?

Your policy might have some cover in place for items stored outside your home, however it’s likely to only cover temporary storage. You need to check your policy details to see if your contents would be covered while in a secure location, such as a bank or storage facility, and whether there’s any time limit for how long your possessions can be stored there.

If you don’t have cover, you’ll need to ask your insurance provider whether they can add it to your policy. Alternatively, most self-storage companies will offer their own insurance.

When do I need buildings insurance for my new property?

Once you’ve exchanged contracts, you take over the legal responsibility for your new property and you’ll need buildings insurance from that day. In fact, in a lot of cases, your mortgage provider will insist that you have buildings cover in place. Be aware that when you move house in the UK, you usually exchange contracts a few weeks in advance of the actual completion day, so you’ll probably still be living in your old house when you exchange (and have building insurance in place for it). Your insurance provider will be familiar with this overlap of policies and it shouldn’t be a problem.

Insurance of your old property is your buyer’s responsibility once they’ve exchanged contracts. However, your buildings insurance may provide cover for your buyer for any damage to the property that occurs between exchange of contracts and completion of the sale.

Your insurance provider will want to know the rebuild value of your new house. This isn’t the market value; it’s the amount it would cost to rebuild your home at the same location if it were completely destroyed by fire, flood or any other disaster.

How can I get a good deal on insurance for my new home?

Moving house offers you the opportunity to assess whether you’re getting a good deal on your home insurance. While your insurance provider might have been the cheapest in your old home, there’s no guarantee that that is still the case in your new one. Check by comparing home insurance with us. Your old provider may charge an admin fee to change the address on your policy or charge a cancellation fee if you decide to cancel your home insurance policy, but it could be that the savings you make with your new provider still make it worthwhile switching.

Looking for something else?