Insurance cover at festivals

If you’re one of the thousands of people going to a music festival this year, you’ll want to make sure that your valuables, such as your smartphone and watch, are protected by insurance.

If you’re one of the thousands of people going to a music festival this year, you’ll want to make sure that your valuables, such as your smartphone and watch, are protected by insurance.

Helen Phipps
Insurance expert
minute read
Do you know someone who could benefit from this article?
Posted 28 FEBRUARY 2020

Are my belongings covered at a festival?

Most home insurance policies don’t automatically cover your belongings outside of the home, particularly valuables like smartphones and bikes. So if you want to protect your belongings while you’re at a festival, you’ll need to have additional cover in place.

How can I insure my valuables at a festival?

There’s no such thing as ‘music festival insurance’. You’ll need personal possessions insurance.This covers you for items you take with you while you’re out and about.  

Personal possessions insurance is normally sold as an add-on to contents insurance. You can also buy separate, standalone gadget insurance, specifically to cover electronic equipment.

What does personal possessions insurance cover me for?

Personal possessions insurance covers you for items you often carry with you when you leave the house, and typically includes:

  • watches and jewellery
  • glasses
  • laptops, smartphones and tablets
  • bikes
  • handbags, wallets and purses
  • musical instruments

It’s worth bearing in mind that you may need to specify high-risk items, such as laptops and jewellery, when you ask for an insurance quote, so that a provider can list them separately on your policy.

Will there be a single item limit on my insurance? 

Most insurance providers impose a single item limit – that’s the most they’ll pay out for any one item unless it’s listed separately on the policy. This limit is usually around £1,500, but could be more or less. So if you’re wearing an expensive watch or engagement ring, be sure to tell your insurance provider how much it’s worth so you can be confident you’re covered for the full amount.

What should I look for in personal possessions cover?

There are a couple of things you might want to look out for if you’re considering personal possessions insurance:

  • Check the excess  – that’s how much you’ll have to contribute before your insurance provider will pay out on any claim 
  • Check the single item limit – that’s how much your insurance provider will pay out for any one item.

And always read your policy carefully, so you know exactly what is and isn’t covered. 

Will my travel insurance cover me at a festival?

If you have an annual travel insurance policy, you may be covered for festival travel. It depends on your policy, so it’s worth double checking. Most policies will cover you for UK trips if they last longer than two nights and are more than a specified distance from your home address.  

But you may need to pay extra to ensure that your smartphone and other valuables are covered. Again, check your policy to be sure. And if you want to insure your festival tickets, you’ll probably need to look for a specialist insurance provider that offers this type of cover.

I’m going to a festival. Should I insure my phone?

Mobile phone insurance could cover you if you  lose,  damage  or have your mobile phon e stolen, but doesn’t usually cover preventable theft (if you leave your phone unattended in public, for example).

If you’re thinking about adding mobile phone insurance to your home insurance policy, it’s worth considering:

  • How much excess you’ll have to pay if you make a claim  
  • Any exclusions. 

How do I keep my belongings safe at a festival?

Here are a few tips for keeping your possessions safe while you’re enjoying yourself at a festival:

  • Don’t carry a lot of cash. If there isn’t a cashpoint or you want to avoid the queues for cash, put your money in a bumbag or money belt rather than a bag someone might snatch.  
  • Avoid taking valuables.  
  • Look out for a locker area. Many festivals have these now and they’re extremely useful.
  • Hide any valuables at the bottom of your sleeping bag while you’re sleeping. 

If I lose something at a festival, how do I claim on my insurance?

If you’re unlucky enough to lose your belongings at a festival or they’re stolen, here’s what to do:

  • Take your phone provider and bank details with you. That way, if your phone or credit cards are stolen you can lock and cancel them immediately. 
  • If you need to, call the police and get a crime report number. The non-emergency number is 101. You may be asked for a report number by your insurance provider if you make a claim for theft.
  • Call your insurance provider as soon as possible to start the claim process.

Compare home insurance

Get a home insurance quote in minutes and you could start saving

Get a quote
Get a quote in minutes and you could start saving Get a quote