While home insurance isn’t a legal requirement, it’s always a good idea to protect your home with both buildings and contents insurance.

Do I need home insurance if I have a mortgage?

Expect your mortgage lender to have made it a condition of the mortgage terms that your home has adequate buildings insurance covering your property’s structure and permanent fixtures.

That’s not likely to be the case when it comes to contents insurance, which covers anything within your home that you can remove and take with you to another property; so possessions such as your fridge, television and furniture.

Although it may be tempting to consider not getting protection, you should ask yourself: is it really worth the risk of being out of pocket on items you’ve come to rely on?

I own my property. Do I need home insurance?

If it’s owned outright, there’s no legal obligation to have either home buildings or home contents insurance. That said, your home and its contents are likely to be the biggest assets you and your family own.

So when it comes to having peace of mind against events such as a fire, flood and vandalism (all of which can be covered by buildings insurance), ask yourself if it’s worth losing everything for the sake of saving a few quid on an insurance premium. 

Related articles

What about insurance for leasehold buildings?

It’s possible that you’ll have to pay for buildings cover. This should be covered in the leaseholder agreement for the building. Even if you do have to pay for buildings insurance, it’s likely to be taken as part of the service charge on the property.

You should consider taking out your own contents insurance, but this isn’t mandatory.

Do landlords need to take out home insurance?

If you’re a landlord with a buy-to-let mortgage, you’ll find that your mortgage provider will probably insist you have buildings insurance.

If you own the building, while there is no legal obligation to have buildings cover, you should be aware that you’ll essentially be liable for the full costs of any repairs to your property.

If you’re a landlord who is renting out a furnished property, then it may be a good idea to get contents insurance to cover you for items you own, including beds and sofas.

Many insurance providers offer landlord insurance, which can include buildings and contents insurance. Use our landlord insurance comparison service to find the right deal for you.

Do I need home insurance if I’m renting?

If you’re renting privately, it’s the landlord’s responsibility to insure the building. You may want to arrange your own contents insurance, but again this isn’t compulsory.

How can I get a home insurance quote?

Whatever your situation, it makes sense to compare the costs of buildings and contents insurance. That’s where we can help. Start a quote with us today and we’ll help you find a good-value deal that offers the right level of cover for you.