Which side of the fence am I responsible for?

If you share a fence with a neighbour, you might be wondering who’s responsible for the painting, repairs and maintenance. Find out how to tell which fence is yours and stay on the right side of your neighbours.

If you share a fence with a neighbour, you might be wondering who’s responsible for the painting, repairs and maintenance. Find out how to tell which fence is yours and stay on the right side of your neighbours.

Chris King
Home insurance expert
minute read
Do you know someone who could benefit from this article?
Posted 6 JULY 2021

How can I work out which side of the fence is my responsibility?

Since garden fences generally straddle two properties, they can sometimes cause disputes between neighbours. If the fence is falling down, who’s responsible for fixing it? And what happens if next door damages the fence you think of as ‘yours’?

It’s important to know what you’re responsible for when it comes to boundary fences and walls. If you own your property, your first port of call is to use the Land Registry to check the deeds and title plan. The deeds show the legal ownership of the property and the title plan is a map that shows the general position of its boundaries.

You can also check to see if a boundary agreement, saying who’s responsible for each fence, already exists.

Unfortunately, official records might not give you the answers you need…

Did you know…?

Contrary to what some people believe, there’s no rule about who’s responsible for the fence on the right or left-hand side.

Can I find out which side of the fence is mine (left or right) from paperwork?

Not necessarily. In England and Wales, there’s usually no record of the exact boundary between two properties. It’s also difficult to determine who owns an adjoining wall or fence. However, you might be able to get a general idea of where your property’s boundaries are by looking at its title plan on the Land Registry (see above). Sometimes boundaries are marked on the plan with a ‘T’, which indicates who’s responsible for maintaining them.

You might have more luck if you live in Scotland. There may be a detailed description of the boundaries if your property is on the older ‘Sasine’ property register.

What if it’s not clear who owns the fence?

If your deeds and title plan don’t reveal anything, and there are no existing boundary agreements in place, you can try to establish who’s responsible for the fence by:

  • Making a boundary agreement with your neighbour You and your neighbour can create an agreement to record the boundaries between your properties. This will outline who’s responsible for garden fence maintenance and repairs. Once you’ve made the agreement, you’ll need to apply for it to be recorded on the Land Registry. It’s a good idea to get legal advice to help make the agreement if you go down this route. See more on how to make a boundary agreement on GOV.UK.
  • Applying for a determined boundary This is an official recording of the exact boundary between your property and your neighbour’s. The application costs £90 and you’ll also need to pay surveyor and solicitor fees. GOV.UK has details on how to apply for a determined boundary.

If a title plan or boundary agreement already exists but you think there is a mistake on it, you can apply to correct it. To do this, you’ll need to write to the Land Registry, explaining why you think there’s been a mistake and supply any documents that support your argument.

See more on how to correct a boundary mistake at GOV.UK.

Coming to a mutual agreement on garden boundaries with your neighbour should be a quick way of resolving the issue and could help you avoid any problems in the future.

What can I do if my neighbour owns the fence?

If your neighbour owns the fence, you’ll need to ask for their permission before making any changes to it. This includes raising the height, leaning or hanging items against it or even just painting your side of it. This is because paints and stains can bleed through to the other side.

Your neighbour may not be under any legal obligation to make any changes or repairs to the fence if they don’t want to – it depends on what it says in the deeds and any other legal documents. However, if the wall or fence appears to be dangerous, you should let them know. If they’re not willing to repair it, you can report the dangerous wall or structure using the GOV.UK website

How high should a fence be?

The maximum height of a garden fence that fronts a road should be one metre. For a fence that does not front a road (in the back garden, for example), the maximum height is two metres.

Anything above these measurements needs planning permission from your local council. You should also apply for planning permission if you live in a Conservation Area or in a listed building.

Am I responsible for damage to my garden fence?

You might be legally obliged to keep your fence in a good state of repair. Look in the deeds and any other legal documents relating to your home to find out. If the fence is your responsibility and it becomes dangerous, your neighbour could take action against you.

Most damage to garden fences is caused by bad weather or wear and tear, so it’s not usually anyone’s fault. However, if your neighbour causes damage to your fence, they should pay for it to be fixed.

Is my garden fence covered by my home insurance?

Garden fences should be covered by your buildings insurance. But read the small print on your policy documents to double check.

Often, fences and gates are covered for fire or vandalism, but not by extreme weather. For example, your fence is unlikely to be covered if it’s damaged in a storm.

What can I do if my neighbour won’t repair their fence?

If your neighbour is unable to pay for a repair, you could offer to help them. You should put any agreement in writing. Make it clear that the payment is a gift and that you’re not assuming future responsibility for the fence.

Another option is to put up your own fence on your side of the garden, so that there are two fences running alongside each other.

Alternatively, you can stick to the principle that the fence isn’t your responsibility and do nothing. But you might have to put up with an eyesore for the foreseeable future.

Common garden fence disputes and how to handle them

Garden fence issues aren’t unusual. They can include:

  • Disagreements about where the boundary is: if this is the case, you can get help from the surveyors’ professional organisation - RICS.
  • Doing work on the boundary: if you want to carry out work that involves boundary walls or fences, make sure you talk to your neighbour and ask for permission. You’re legally obliged to do this if they own the wall or fence, and it’s polite to do so even if they don’t. Make a note of any agreements and keep any copies of any letters or emails.
  • Your neighbour damages your garden fence: the first thing to do is to talk to your neighbour. It’s possible that their insurance might cover the damage to your property. If they refuse to pay, you may be able to make a claim on your buildings insurance.

Frequently asked questions

What should I do if I rent a property and there’s a problem with the fence?

If you’re renting your property, it’s important to ask your landlord to deal with any problems with the fence or wall. They should have a good idea of whose fence is it. And you should always ask your landlord for their permission before making any changes to a fence or wall.

Does the smooth side of my neighbour’s fence have to face my side?

There’s no rule about this – it’s a matter of politeness. So if your neighbour is putting up a new fence and the less attractive side faces your property, there’s not much you can do about it. There are fences that look good on both sides, so if you’re putting up a fence perhaps opt for one of these.

I can’t resolve a boundary issue with my neighbour. What should I do?

If you can’t resolve a boundary issue with your neighbour, you can:

  • Get help from a mediator: you can find one through your local council. Or you can use the RICS Boundary Disputes Mediation Service.
  • Get help from a solicitor: some solicitors specialise in neighbour disputes, but this can be expensive.

Compare home insurance

Get a quote in minutes and you could start saving

Get a quote