Revealed: property prices in famous TV locations
Ever looked out of your bedroom window and dreamed of seeing some of the world’s most famous actors right on your doorstep, filming one of the top TV shows?
But just how much would it cost to buy a home in the locations they’re filmed? We’ve analysed some of the most loved UK, US, and Canadian shows to uncover exactly that.
For many of us, the Vicar of Dibley is a TV classic. The British sitcom provides us with lots of laughs as we tune in to watch the goings-on of Dawn French’s character, Geraldine. But did you know the series is actually filmed in the charming village of Turville?
If like Geraldine you’d love to live in a little cottage, you’ll be interested to hear that property values within the outcode (the first part of a UK postcode) of RG9 have increased by 4.58% in the last 12 months. A detached home currently costs £1,217,193 whilst a flat costs £429,460.
But it’s not just property prices in the filming location of the Vicar of Dibley that have increased. Properties located in the areas featured in The Crown, Outlander, Killing Eve, and Friday Night Dinner have too.
With season 4 set to hit our screens this year, Stranger Things has gained a cult following since it first aired in 2016. During the series, we see a lot of Mike and Nancy’s home which is filmed and located at East Point, Georgia, 30344. Average property prices within the ZIP code currently sit at $190,121, with a condo costing $141k.
Looking further afield, weirdly even properties where the Big Cat Rescue in Tiger King was filmed have increased in value over the last 12 months, with the average property price now at $280,748.
If you live in Vancouver, chances are you’ve seen your fair share of major TV shows and movies being shot (it’s a popular filming location because its range of buildings can enable it to pass for many major cities all over the world).
That’s why it probably comes as no surprise that properties in the V5N 1H6 area have increased by 35.3%, with the average property price currently at C$1,287,810. Archie’s house in Riverdale was filmed in this very location, Grandview-Woodland to be precise.
House prices based in the area where The Umbrella Academy is filmed (Hamilton, Ontario, L8N 1A6), especially Sir Reginald Hargreeves’ (aka The Monocle) old mansion, have also increased by a huge 32.5%, with the average property price now at C$491,722.
So, if you want to live the life of your favourite fictional character and you’re curious if you can afford to live in some of the top filming locations, check out our mortgage calculator here: https://www.comparethemarket.com/mortgages/mortgage-calculator/.
We used the following sources to find average property values and increases across the UK, US, and Canada.
- Searches are done by outcode.
- Average property values and increase sourced via Zoopla’s average property values tool. Data correct as of 11th January 2021. Data is only reflective of the price of properties within the outcode of the location - this doesn’t refer to the entire filming set featured within the series.
- Searches are done by ZIP code.
- Average property values and increase sourced via Zillow. Data correct as of 12th January 2021. Data is only reflective of the price of properties within the zip code of the location - this doesn’t refer to the entire filming set featured within the series.
- Searches are done by neighbourhood.
- Average property values and increase sourced on Zillow and Zolo. Data correct as of 12th January 2021. Data is only reflective of the price of properties within the neighbourhood of the location - this doesn’t refer to the entire filming set featured within the series.