A simples guide

Travel insurance with cancer

You might think that getting travel insurance for people with cancer, or anyone else with a pre-existing medical condition, may be difficult. But the truth is that it needn’t be.

Whilst it may be true that some insurance companies are often reluctant to provide travel insurance for cancer patients, these days more and more insurance companies are assessing requests on a case-by-case basis.

We can help you compare policies from across the market quickly and easily, so you can get a good deal on your travel insurance with the least amount of hassle.

Finding travel insurance with cancer

You usually have two options:

  • A mainstream insurer that will agree to insure your trip, may exclude any cancer-related claims (but other illnesses would still be covered though). In this case, if you have to cancel your trip due to your condition, or have to go into hospital while away for cancer treatment, you’ll be liable to pay for it yourself out of your own pocket. However what is included or excluded very much depends on what stage you are at in terms of treatment.
  • A specialist insurer that will explicitly cover cancer patients and anyone else with pre-existing medical conditions. Note that you may find premiums for these policies are likely to be higher.
travel insurance with cancer

What do insurers need to know if I have cancer?

When applying for travel insurance, insurers are likely to ask you a lot of questions about your cancer diagnosis, the stage and grade of your illness and the prognosis. They might also ask for a letter from your doctor confirming you are fit to travel.

Whilst this experience may feel stressful, it’s worth taking the time to cover yourself properly so that you can relax as much as possible while you are away.

travel cover for cancer patients

How does having cancer affect travel insurance premiums?

Premiums are likely to vary according to the severity of your cancer and what stage of treatment you’re at. This is because you’ll pose a different level of risk to the insurer depending on the extent of your illness.

Will my destination affect the premium?

Yes, travel insurance premiums are affected by your holiday location. In places where there is a high cost for medical treatment, cancer travel insurance is likely to be more expensive. For example, medical expenses can be particularly high in the US, so the premium might be higher if you’re planning to travel there compared to Europe.

What if I have recovered from cancer?

Even if you have recovered from cancer, insurers will still expect you to declare this. You may still require some extent of additional or specialist cover.

You may also find that there’s a bit of variation between insurance companies too, with some refusing to cover patients several years after recovering from cancer, while others will grant insurance after a few months of remission. The majority of providers will insist on a letter from your doctor, either way, to confirm you’re ok to travel.

Do I need an EHIC?

A European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) entitles you to free or discounted treatment in state hospitals in a number of countries in the European Union, and in some overseas territories too. The card is free, so is well worth getting, but is no substitute for travel insurance. It entitles you to the same cover as locals, but remember that the health services are not always free and not always of the highest standard. You can find out more about the EHIC here.

Travelling with cancer

If you have cancer, or are in remission, you should seek the advice of your doctor before travelling. You must be honest with any potential insurer about your medical history. If you don’t disclose relevant details to your insurer, they may refuse to pay up in the case of a claim.

Finding travel insurance for someone with cancer should be stress free and we’ve made it as simple as possible for you to compare providers. You can search according to your requirements and compare policies from across a range of insurance providers. You may find the best deal with the right level of cover for you, meaning you can then go off and enjoy your well deserved break.

Looking for a Quote?

Get a new travel insurance quote in minutes and start saving

Get a quote