Skip to content

City break travel insurance

Whether you’re planning a romantic weekend getaway or a business trip overseas, it’s important to have travel insurance for your city break so you can enjoy peace of mind.

Whether you’re planning a romantic weekend getaway or a business trip overseas, it’s important to have travel insurance for your city break so you can enjoy peace of mind.

Written by
Helen Phipps
Insurance comparison expert
Last Updated
29 FEBRUARY 2024
3 min read
Share article

What is city break insurance?

City break travel insurance gives you financial protection against potential problems, such as unforeseen medical expenses or theft, while you’re away.

If you know you’re only taking one trip over the next 12 months, that lasts no longer than 31 days, you could get single-trip travel insurance.

If you’re planning to visit a few cities in the next year, you may find it’s more cost-effective to get a multi-trip policy lasting 12 months. But check whether there’s a minimum-night stay abroad and in the UK for your cover to be valid. Multi-trip policies typically cover UK city breaks provided you’re staying in pre-booked accommodation for at least two nights.

You’ll be able to state whether you’re going for business or pleasure when you get a quote.

Customers with pre-existing medical conditions

If you have a serious health condition, your travel insurance is likely to be more expensive. Whatever happens, don’t lie to an insurance provider, because this could mean your claim is rejected. When you declare any medical conditions on our website, we’ll only show you quotes from insurance providers who will cover them, with no exclusions.

If your condition is more serious, MoneyHelper has a directory of insurance providers who may be able to provide quotes over the phone. You can call them on 0800 138 7777.

What does city break travel insurance cover?

Your city break travel insurance should cover you for:

  • Medical expenses: travel insurance could cover your costs if you fall ill or have an accident. Insurance providers will ask about your medical history and may exclude cover for pre-existing conditions. If your city break is in Europe, remember to take your Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC). This is the post-Brexit version of the old European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) and entitles you to state healthcare across the continent, on the same terms as a local resident. You can no longer apply for an EHIC, but if you already have one issued before the end of 2020, it’s valid until the expiry date. If you don’t have an EHIC, or once yours expires, you can apply for a GHIC on the NHS website. The GHIC offers the same cover the EHIC did in EU countries.
  • Cancellation: it’s a good idea to take out travel insurance when you book your break. That way you could claim back your costs if unforeseen circumstances, such as illness or bereavement, force you to cancel your trip. Check your policy to see whether any excursions you’ve booked will be covered if you have to cancel.
  • Stolen, lost or damaged possessions: you may be able to claim back the cost of lost, stolen or damaged items. If your belongings are stolen, report the incident to the local police and get a crime number – you’ll need to send this to your insurance provider when you make your claim.
  • COVID-19: if coronavirus causes you to cancel your city break or you have to extend it, travel insurance could help cover the costs. To see what coronavirus cover is included in each policy, just click ‘more details’ on the quote results page. 

If your city break is a business trip, business travel insurance could cover all the above, as well as damage to your work tech. It could also pay out for replacing you with a colleague if you can’t attend an event and someone else has to attend in your place. 

Why use Comparethemarket?

We compare some of the market’s leading providers to help you find a deal that’s right for you.

Start a quote and see if you can find a great deal on your travel insurance.

Start a quote

Frequently asked questions

Do I need travel insurance for a day trip?

If you’re going abroad – even if it’s just a day trip to Paris – it’s a good idea to have travel insurance in place. It won’t cost much and could mean you’re protected if you have an accident or medical emergency. It could also cover you if your baggage is lost or stolen.

Do I need insurance for a UK city break?

You won’t need medical cover, as we have the NHS. But it’s still a good idea to have travel insurance for your UK break in case your possessions are lost or stolen or unexpected circumstances force you to cancel your trip.

When is it too late to buy travel insurance?

You can usually buy travel insurance right up until the moment you leave so don’t worry if you’ve left it late. That said, it can be worth buying early so you’re covered in case of cancellation.

Compare travel insurance Get a quote