[]   Your account

Compare couples travel insurance

If you’re jetting off with your husband, wife or partner, then couples cover (sometimes known as joint travel insurance) can be a budget-friendly alternative to buying separate policies. 

Patrick Ikhena From the Travel team
minute read

Do you have to travel together for couples travel insurance?

With couples travel insurance, travelling separately is allowed with some policies. This can be particularly useful if you regularly visit family overseas and can’t always go together, or if you’re travelling alone or with friends.

Split 1

Can I save money by taking out a couples policy?

Going on holiday is pricey enough, so it will come as good news that opting for couples travel insurance can save you money.  

However, if one of you has a pre-existing medical condition then it could be cheaper to buy separate policies – so it’s worth getting a comparison for both to see which could be cheaper.

If you travel a lot, then it’s also possible to make further savings with an annual multi-trip policy over a single trip policy.

While travel insurance for couples may seem tempting, the lowest-priced deals don’t always offer the right cover – and can sometimes end up costing you more money if things don’t go to plan. A good policy should tick all your boxes, as well as meeting your budget, so make sure you compare policies before buying the policy that suits you.

Split 2

Are there any common exclusions for couples travel insurance?

Exclusions are the things an insurance provider won’t provide, so you should certainly be aware of them. 

The ones that regularly occur include:

  • pre-existing medical conditions – if you’ve got a dodgy knee or problematic organs, you may be considered by some providers a big a risk to insure. Fortunately, there are providers out there that do cover people with pre-existing medical conditions
  • extreme sports – not all insurance providers will take the fall if a bungee jump goes disastrously wrong. Whether it’s skiing, white-water rafting, or even skydiving, adrenaline junkies will sometimes need to seek out policies that specifically cater for extreme sports
Split 3
  • certain locations – from dangerous countries to plush cruise liners, not every insurance policy will cover you everywhere. If you’re opting for a cruise, you need to select the cruise option when completing your quote
  • delays and disasters –some of the least anticipated things aren’t always covered by insurance providers. These can range from ‘Acts of God’ (storms, floods, tornados etc.) to acts of terrorism. The same can also be true of more common eventualities, such as delayed flights. Make sure your policy doesn’t exclude any of the more likely ones

Where can I compare travel insurance?

If you’re looking to compare travel insurance for couples we can help you. To compare offers today simply answer a few questions and we’ll find you a selection of travel insurance companies to choose from. Get a quote in minutes and see if you can start saving.

Split 4

Looking for a quote?

Get a new travel insurance quote in minutes and you could start saving

Get a quote

comparethemarket.com uses cookies to offer you the best experience online. By continuing to use our website, you agree to the use of cookies. If you would like to know more about cookies and how to manage them please view our privacy & cookie policy.