Compare moped & scooter breakdown cover
Cover that gets you back on the road when you break down.
Looking for Rewards?* Breakdown cover is not a qualifying product; however, compare prices now and find cover for you.
What do I need to know about moped and scooter breakdown cover?
If you’re one of the million or so who own a scooter, moped or motorcycle, the last thing you want is to find yourself stranded at the side of the road if it breaks down. But take out breakdown cover and you could be reassured that help is at hand, wherever you are.
What moped and scooter breakdown cover do I need?
When deciding on the right breakdown cover for you, you’ll need to consider:
Where you want cover for
- within Europe
What you want to cover
- your family
- a moped or scooter
- multiple vehicles
What type of cover you want
- roadside assistance
- nationwide recovery
- onward travel
- at home
- European cover
Levels of cover will vary, so knowing you have the right amount of breakdown protection will give you peace of mind; whatever you ride, wherever you go, 365 days a year. Compare quotes with us today to see if you can save.
Frequently asked questions
What’s the difference between a scooter and a moped?
The main difference between a scooter and a moped is the engine size. Typically, a moped has a 50cc engine or less and a top speed of around 28mph. Both will be covered by motorbike breakdown insurance.
Scooters are generally faster and more powerful than mopeds. Nowadays, models can range from 50cc right up to 750cc, although mid-range 125-250cc scooters tend to be the most popular.
Am I already covered for moped and scooter break downs?
If your scooter or moped is new, you might have motorcycle breakdown cover included in your warranty or motorbike insurance. If you find you’re not already covered for a breakdown, you can arrange cover as an add-on to your moped or scooter insurance policy. Alternatively, you could take out separate breakdown cover.
What’s the difference between personal and vehicle breakdown cover?
Personal breakdown insurance covers the person(s) named on the policy, rather than a specific vehiclvehiclee. This can typically cover up to four people who live at the same address. Vehicle cover is related to the vehicle(s) specified on the policy. Again, up to four vehicles can be covered (cars, bikes or vans), provided they’re all registered at the same address.
What types of bike breakdown cover are there?
There are several types of breakdown cover. The one that’s right for you will depend on how far you intend to travel and where you might break down.
- Roadside assistance This is the most basic breakdown cover. Your moped or scooter could be repaired at the side of the road or towed to the nearest garage, if a roadside repair isn’t possible.
- Nationwide recovery Similar to roadside assistance, but you can choose where you and yourmoped or scooter are taken (as long as it’s within the UK).
- Home start If your moped or scooter won’t start at your home address or nearby, a recovery vehicle will come to your home – or within a quarter of a mile radius of it – to help you on your way. This varies between insurance breakdown providers, so check your policy.
- Onward journey This gives you alternative transport and possibly accommodation, allowing you to continue your journey. It’s worth noting that there are also policies that include cover in Europe. Check the details so you know which countries are included.
There’s a lot to think about when choosing breakdown cover for your moped or scooter. We make the process easier by helping you compare a range of motorcycle breakdown quotes to suit your needs and budget.
What do I need to get a quote?
To get a breakdown cover quote, you’ll simply need to give us a few details about:
- your moped or scooter
- the type of cover you want
- any break downs you’ve had in the past 12 months.
Once we have your details, we’ll be able to send you a list of suitable breakdown quotes to compare.Start a quote
Why use Compare the Market?
|We compare 266 provider products for breakdown cover||Get a quote in 4 minutes||We're rated 4.8/5 stars on Trustpilot|
Correct as of October 2022.
Correct as of September 2022.
As of October 2022, Comparethemarket had an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 from 22,236 people who left a review on Trustpilot. The score 4.8 corresponds to the Star Label ‘Excellent’.
What our expert says...
“If you also own a car, you may be able to combine your breakdown policy to include your moped or scooter. Some breakdown providers offer personal breakdown cover for your car, moped, scooter or motorcycle under one policy. This could work out more cost-effective than buying separate breakdown insurance for your vehicles.”
- Julie Daniels, Motor insurance expert