What does BT broadband offer?
BT is the largest broadband and phone provider in the country, has its own fibre broadband network, and provides millions of Wi-Fi hotspots.
The company offers two types of broadband connection:
- standard BT broadband
- the flagship BT Infinity fibre service
With download speeds of up to 17Mb, this is generally better suited to lighter home internet use.
Available to more than 85% of UK households, this is the brand’s superfast fibre optic broadband service, with speeds of up to 76Mb. This allows several people to be online at the same time, without loss of speed or quality.
To find out whether you can get Infinity, look at the availability checker on BT’s website. You should also check broadband speeds when comparing broadband packages, as connections vary depending on your postcode.
Frequently asked questions
What are the different BT broadband packages?
BT offers a range of home broadband packages with both its standard and Infinity services.
- Some deals have a cap on monthly internet usage, while others are unlimited broadband contracts. Some include the use of a landline and/or access to digital TV channels.
- TV customers can get access to the BT Sport package, featuring exclusive coverage of UEFA football and 38 UK Premier League football games.
- If you add BT TV to your broadband package, you can get access to as many as 143 channels, and watch your favourite shows when you’re out and about using the BT TV app.
What about extras?
As a BT customer, you can get:
- Free access to public BT Wi-Fi hotspots – there are more than 5 million of them in the UK. Just download the BT Wi-Fi app, and you’ll be ready to use them while you’re out and about.
- BT Cloud online storage – to save, manage and back up your data. The handy thing about cloud storage is that you don’t need your own computer to access your data. With an internet connection, you can log on from any device, wherever you are.
- Online security as standard – BT Parental Controls helps you stay in control of what your family can access online; BT Virus Protect safeguards your devices against viruses and other attacks, while BT Web Protect will warn you if you’re about to visit a harmful website.
- BT Mail – BT customers can sign up to free email with BT Mail. This gives you unlimited email storage for up to 11 email addresses.
- My BT app – manage your BT account on the move using the app.
What’s BT’s customer service like?
According to Ofcom’s 2017 customer service study, 79% of BT’s broadband customers said they were satisfied with the service.
It’s worth being aware that BT offers a customer service compensation scheme, which means you might get some money back if the company is late in supplying or repairing a service.
How do I switch to BT broadband?
It’s quite simple. First, order your broadband package. There’s no need to contact your current provider unless you’re with Virgin Media. In this case, you’ll need to contact both companies to co-ordinate your switch.
You’ll be given a switching date and sent your BT Smart Hub by post.
It will usually take up to about 2 weeks until your BT connection is activated.
Will I save with BT broadband deals?
The broadband market is very competitive, so do your research before signing up to a new provider. There are usually plenty of offers from the various suppliers.
With Compare the Market, you can easily compare broadband deals for your area simply by entering your postcode, and get a quote in less than 1 minute.
We can list the relevant package details including:
- monthly charges
- line rental, speeds
- connection costs
- download limits
- any extras or freebies on offer
**On average it can take less than 1 minute to complete a broadband quote through Compare the Market based on data in February 2020.