What does Sky Broadband offer?
The UK’s second-largest broadband provider (behind BT) offers a range of packages with different speeds, phone and TV options.
Be careful though, some packages come with download restrictions whereas others are truly unlimited packages with no download caps and no slowing down, even at peak times.
If you’re thinking about switching providers, keep an eye out for the broadband deals Sky regularly uses to attract new customers.
The jewel in Sky’s broadband crown is its Sky Fibre Max package:
- No usage cap
- You can download all the movies, music and photos you like
- High download speeds up to 76 Mbps.
Sky also offers Sky Fibre Unlimited, which is basically the same as the Max deal but with top speeds of 38 Mbps and a slightly lower price.
If you don’t need superfast broadband, you can choose Sky Broadband Unlimited, which still boasts speeds of up to 17 Mbps. As this is an ADSL package, be aware that speeds may vary depending on how far away from the telephone exchange you live.
Frequently asked questions
What type of Sky Broadband bundles can I get?
All Sky Broadband deals come complete with the Sky Talk home phone package and you can also bundle in a TV Entertainment package, which gives you access to over 300 channels.
There are three bundles to choose from; Entertainment + Broadband, Entertainment + Fibre Unlimited and Entertainment + Fibre Max, depending on budget and what broadband speeds you need.
What type of Sky home phone packages can I get?
All Sky broadband packages come with Sky Talk, Sky’s landline telephone service, as standard. As with most providers, that means you’ll pay line rental on top of your monthly tariff.
You’ll get the Pay As You Talk package for no extra cost or you can pay a monthly fee for:
- Sky Talk Evenings & Weekend (free UK calls at evening and weekends)
- Sky Talk Anytime Extra (unlimited calls to UK mobiles and landlines)
- Sky Talk International Extra (unlimited calls to UK mobile and landlines plus 50 worldwide destinations).
You can also add Sky Talk Shield – Sky’s personalised call screening service – free of charge.
What type of Sky TV packages can I get?
The Sky Entertainment package gives you access to over 300 TV channels including Sky Atlantic, Sky Sports News and MTV. You can add on Sports, Cinema, Kids and HD packages for an extra monthly cost.
With any Sky TV package, you’ll get a Sky Q box which means you can:
- record up to three shows while watching a fourth
- store up to 500 hours of your favourite programmes (or 1,000 hours if you upgrade to the 2TB box).
Plus, Sky TV customers can take advantage of Sky Go, which lets you watch your favourite shows on your tablet, mobile or laptop, at no extra cost, and Catch Up TV, which gives you access to shows from the past 30 days, across 65 channels.
Does Sky Broadband come with any extras?
- New customers get a free Sky Hub or Sky Q Hub wireless router (there’s a £9.95 delivery charge for these).
- Sky Broadband customers also get free Sky Broadband Shield software that lets you set the level of online protection you want – useful if you need parental controls.
- Sky also recommends you install antivirus software, and offers broadband customers a free trial with McAfee Security.
- As a Sky broadband customer, you can also access free Wi-Fi in many high street locations around the UK, with Sky WiFi.
What’s Sky customer service like?
Sky had the fewest complaints to Ofcom about its broadband service per 100,000 subscribers in 2017.
It also ranked higher than average for overall satisfaction with complaints handling.
The Sky team is on call seven days a week – including evenings - to fix any broadband issues that can’t be sorted over the phone.
How do I switch to Sky Broadband?
Just complete a quote and sign up, and in most cases, they do the rest. As one of the companies which uses BT’s Openreach network to provide broadband services, Sky has to comply with ‘one touch’ switching regulations, so they’ll contact your existing provider for you and cancel that contract.
However, if you're switching to or from a cable network (such as Virgin Media), things aren’t quite so simple. You’ll need to stop your service with your current provider before starting afresh with your new service. When you sign up to your new provider, they should make it clear what, if anything, you have to do. Just watch out for any contract cancellation fees for terminating your existing contract early.
How do I compare broadband deals?
The broadband market is very competitive, so do your research before signing up to a new provider. There are usually plenty of offers from the various suppliers.
Get a quote in minutes with Compare the Market simply by entering your postcode.
We give you all the relevant package details including:
- monthly charges
- line rental
- average speeds
- connection costs
- download limits
- any extras or freebies on offer