Business insurance for photographers

When you’re working with the public or recording precious memories, it’s worth knowing your business is protected in case something goes wrong.

When you’re working with the public or recording precious memories, it’s worth knowing your business is protected in case something goes wrong.

Emily Kindness
Business insurance expert
minute read
Do you know someone who could benefit from this article?
Last Updated 25 FEBRUARY 2022

Do I need insurance as a photographer?

Whether or not you need insurance depends on if you’re self-employed or employed by a company. If you’re employed by someone else, it’s worth reviewing their cover to make sure it offers enough protection.

If you work for yourself, there are several types of business insurance you’ll want to consider.

Public liability insurance for photographers

If a member of the public suffers injury or property damage as a result of your work, public liability insurance is what covers you. If you’re photographing events such as weddings, christenings or graduation ceremonies, this is definitely a safety net you’ll want in place.

It’s not fun thinking of what could go wrong – but what if someone trips over your tripod and breaks an ankle, you walk backwards into the wedding cake or damage the marquee because your lighting equipment fused the electrics? Not only will you have to deal with angry clients, but you’ll probably face a hefty bill too. With public liability insurance in place, you can be confident that someone’s got your back. 

Public liability limits start at £1 million, but you can typically increase your cover to £2m, £3m, £5m or even more. Your premiums will reflect this rise, but not by much.

Employers’ liability insurance

If you employ staff – even just one person – you’ll need employers’ liability insurance. This is a legal requirement and is there to pay employees compensation if they become ill or injured through their work.

Your policy must cover you for at least £5 million, and must come from an authorised insurance provider. 

The law requires you to display a copy of your employer’s liability insurance certificate where your employees can easily read it. If you don’t, you could receive a £1,000 fine from the Health & Safety Executive (HSE). And if you don’t have employer’s liability insurance, you could be fined £2,500 for every day you don't have it in place.

Professional indemnity insurance

As a photographer, it’s also worth considering professional indemnity insurance – this covers you if a client makes a claim for loss or damage resulting from professional negligence. No matter how diligent you are, there’s always the possibility that something could go wrong. So to know you’re protected against nightmare incidents can come as a huge relief.

What else should I consider?

If you drive a van for work, make sure you’ve got suitable van insurance to protect you when you’re on the road. Van cover doesn’t usually include any equipment you transport, so it’s worth considering a policy that covers tools as well. Watch out for exclusions though, such as storing equipment in the van overnight.

If you have a studio where you print your work and store kit, make sure your business premises and contents are adequately insured too.

How much will public liability insurance cost me?

How much you pay for your public liability insurance will depend on how you work (whether that’s in a studio, on location or both), how many people you employ, your claims history and how much cover you want. Always be honest – if you’re less than truthful, your policy could be invalidated when you come to claim.

Are there any other add-ons I should think about? 

Some insurance providers offer legal advice as part of their package. This is also something you might want to think about adding to your policy.

How do I work out how much my camera equipment is worth?

As a photographer, you’ll likely own some extremely expensive equipment. You’ll want to make sure your insurance covers all of it in the event that something is damaged or stolen. It’s worth doing a complete inventory and adding up the cost of replacing it all before you choose your policy.

Getting the right insurance

It isn’t hard to find competitive liability insurance. Compare business insurance with us to find the right deal for you and your business.

Looking for a quote?

Compare business insurance from leading providers

Get a quote
Get a business insurance quote and you could start saving now Start a business insurance quote