Advanced driving courses
Advanced driving courses
An advanced driving course is a great way to improve your confidence and driving skills. Taking one may even reduce your car insurance costs.
A guide to advanced driving courses
If you want to improve your driving skills, here’s our round-up of some of the advanced driving courses available in the UK.
IAM RoadSmart is a registered charity dedicated to improving road safety, by helping drivers and motorbike riders improve their skills.
IAM RoadSmart offers a range of DVSA Quality Assured advanced driving courses, including:
- Advanced Driver Course A comprehensive course conducted by qualified experts. It’s divided into two-hour sessions and takes three to six months to complete. You’ll focus on specific skills such as control, observation, timing and dealing with unpredictable roads. On completion of the course, you’ll be offered a full IAM membership, which may help to reduce your car insurance premium.
- Younger Driver Assessment Available for drivers under the age of 26, this course will help you gain greater confidence and skills on the road. The course includes seven online modules that you can complete in your own time, then an on-road assessment in your own car. The YDA is a great course for young drivers who lack experience.
- Mature Driver Review This a great course for older drivers who may have lost confidence over the years. Or for those who simply want to sharpen their driving skills. The informal review is conducted by a qualified expert and takes place in your own car.
The Pass Plus Scheme is especially beneficial to new drivers who’ve recently passed their driving test. The short course takes about six hours and covers a whole range of driving conditions and environments. New drivers who’ve successfully completed the course may even be eligible for a discount on their car insurance premium.
RoSPA Advanced Driving Course
The RoSPA Advanced Driving Course is a four-day course based on the Police Driver Handbook, and is typically run by serving or retired police officers. It prepares drivers for the Advanced Driving Test and is ideal for company car drivers, commercial van drivers and immediate response drivers.
The course focuses on enhancing handling skills, anticipating changes and becoming more observant. The Advanced Driving Test needs to be re-taken every three years to keep your driving skills up to date.
AA Advanced Driving Courses
The AA runs a range of driver safety courses, with specialist training conducted by AA qualified instructors. These include:
- Pass Plus
- Drive Confident refresher course To improve your confidence and skills. Ideal for drivers who’ve lost their confidence following an accident.
- Motorway Driving Course Learn the rules of motorway driving and increase your confidence on multi-lane roads.
- Drive Smart Learn to be a safer driver while also improving the fuel efficiency of your vehicle.
Compare and save
An advanced driving course not only helps you become a safer, more confident driver, it could lead to reductions in your car insurance premiums.
Another way you could save on your car insurance is by shopping around and comparing quotes. Comparing with us may be the ideal way to find a cheaper deal, and could save you up to £202** on your car insurance premium.
**Based on Online independent research by Consumer Intelligence during November 2019 50% of customers could save up to £202.57 on their car insurance premium.