[]   Your account

Insurance for disability cars

Insurance for disability cars

If you’re disabled and have a modified vehicle, it’s not always easy to find the right car insurance provider or policy. Use our guide to help find the right policy for you and your car.

Daniel Hutson
From the Motor team
minute read
posted 29 OCTOBER 2019

What is disability car insurance?

Disability car insurance is designed to cover any modifications made to your vehicle to help you to drive.

Everyone’s situation is different, so there’s no one-size-fits-all policy when it comes to disability car insurance. This means that providing details of these modifications when getting a quote through our website is really important.

Modifications that affect car insurance could include:

  • Ramps
  • Tail lifts
  • Person and wheelchair hoists
  • Adapted controls
  • Tiller controls
  • Steering wheel balls
  • Joysticks
  • Transfer seats
  • Wheelchair storage
  • Restraints and belts
  • Side steps
  • Winches
  • Electronic ring accelerators
  • Throttle and brake hand controls
  • Twin flip pedal transfers
  • Handbrake adaptations
  • Infra-red controls
  • Child harnesses
  • All wheelchair accessible vehicles (WAVs) converted from cars and vans.

Do I need to tell the DVLA if I have a disability or medical condition?

It depends. If you have a driving licence and develop what is defined by the DVLA as a notifiable medical condition or disability, you must let them know.  

A notifiable condition could be anything that could affect your ability to drive safely. They can include:

  • Epilepsy
  • Strokes
  • Other neurological and mental health conditions
  • Physical disabilities
  • Visual impairments

You should also notify them if your condition deteriorates.

What is the Blue badge scheme?

The Blue Badge is a disabled parking scheme that allows you to park closer to your destination. The Government issued almost 900,000 Blue Badges between April 2016 and March 2017, an increase of 2,000 on the previous year.

Who is entitled to a Blue Badge?

You can automatically get a Blue Badge if you:

  • Scored 8 points or more in the moving around area of your Personal Independence Payment (PIP) assessment.
  • Are registered blind.
  • Get the higher rate of the mobility element of Disability Living Allowance.
  • Get War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement.

You may be able to get a Blue Badge if you can’t use your arms, have problems walking, or are applying on behalf of a child under three with a health condition, or a child over two who has problems walking.  

The badge will be for you, but can be used by someone else if they are providing transport for you.

How can Compare the Market help with disability car insurance?  

We have a number of  insurance providers who will quote for disability vehicles with modifications. This means you’ll be able to use us to help find the right policy for your needs. Compare car insurance in minutes to see if you can save.

Looking for a quote?

Compare car insurance in minutes to see if you can save

Get a quote
Compare car insurance Get a quote

comparethemarket.com uses cookies to offer you the best experience online. By continuing to use our website, you agree to the use of cookies. If you would like to know more about cookies and how to manage them please view our privacy & cookie policy.