Award-winning journalist, author and broadcast commentator, Kate Hughes has been writing about personal finance for 20 years (though obviously, she doesn't look a day over 25).
A lover of all things sustainable, her work has appeared in all the UK broadsheets as well as a number of international titles. She is currently Money Editor for The Independent.
How you could be more ethical with your finances
We get it. You refuse plastic bags and your toothbrush is bamboo. Now what? How do you reduce your impact on the environment without ending up knitting your own tofu in a muddy off-grid yurt?Read more
How you can use your finances to help reduce racial inequality
We all know money is powerful stuff. Used well, it not only helps us achieve our own goals, but the effect of our spending, saving and investing decisions can spread out like a powerful wave – one that supports and even sometimes changes the lives of people we may never meet.Read more
The cost of being loyal – why the majority of consumers would rather lose out than move
Fact: the cost of staying put is costing 28 million people £3.4bn a year. Now, grab your wallet and open it. Pull out a bank card, any bank card. Now think about how long you’ve had that account.Read more
Why out-of-date technology is costing you more than you think
Despite more than a year of lockdowns, we'rre more connected than ever before through technology. But this reliance on technology also makes us vulnerable to cybercrime.Read more
How to cut the cost of being single for everything, including car insurance
Last week I went out for dinner (yup, the novelty of it is still intoxicating). I tripped my way through the big glass door and asked if they were still serving. The otherwise painfully polite woman at the little rostrum thing looked over my shoulder and asked if it was ‘just me’.Read more
Slimming clubs: bad for your bank balance and do they even work?
We’re facing an epidemic – one that sadly can’t be alleviated with a double jab. After 18 months of being at home with easy access to the fridge, but precious little to gyms, sports clubs or even the benefits of the “I’m-so-late” power-walking commute, it’s little wonder we’ve piled on the pounds.Read more
All articles by Kate Hughes
- How to Cancel Car Insurance
- Will my car insurance go up after an accident?
- Compare Classic Car Insurance Quotes
- Car Warranty – New, Used & Extended Warranties
- No claims discount explained
- How To Buy Your First Car
- How house keys affect your home insurance
- Japanese Knotweed house damage
- Compare home fire insurance
- How ‘Acts of God’, or natural disasters, affect your home insurance
- Non-Standard Home Insurance – A Guide
- Protecting your home from flooding
- What is rising damp?
- Central Heating Cover
- What is the Flood Re scheme?
- Can you tax a car without insurance?
- When did I pass my driving test?
- Can I Check My Car Insurance Claim History?
- Am I Insured To Drive Any Car?
- How to get proof of your no-claims bonus
- Why out of date technology is costing you more than you think.
- The cost of being loyal – why staying with your insurer could cost you £463.
- How to cut the cost of being single for everything, including car insurance
- Slimming clubs: bad for your bank balance and do they even work?
- T’is the season to gift smart devices: how to protect relatives while they go digital
- Loopholes that could mean your insurer won’t pay out
- Can you afford to go vegan?
- Heat pumps: The true costs of more sustainable home heating
- Will an electric vehicle break the bank or save a fortune?
- How to teach your kids to be ethical consumers
- 90-Day Travel Insurance
- Travel Insurance For Pregnant Women
- Does travel insurance cover a death in the family?
- Compare couples travel insurance
- Do I Really Need Travel Insurance: A Simple Guide
- A Guide To Engagement Ring Insurance
- Is Baggage Cover Worth It?
- Cycling Travel Insurance
- Travel Insurance After a Stroke
- Your ultimate holiday checklist
- Compare Over-70s Travel Insurance
- Compare Travel Insurance For Under-18s
- Travel Insurance for Over 80s
- UK Travel Insurance For Staycations
- Compare travel insurance for Europe
- Student travel insurance
- Compare Over-50s Travel Insurance
- The 10 Most Common Rental-Car Charges And How To Avoid Them
- A Guide To Travelling With Your Baby For The First Time
- Worldwide Travel Insurance Policy
- Compare Long Stay Travel Insurance
- Things travel insurance will cover you for… and things it won’t
- Learner Driver and Provisional Licence Insurance
- Types of Car Insurance explained
- Gap Insurance
- How can I reduce the cost of insuring my imported car?