Buildings insurance for flats

Buildings insurance for flats

Thinking buildings insurance will be more complicated if you live in a flat? There's a few extra things to look out for, but it's not as different to insuring a detached home as you may think. We give you the lowdown on everything you need to know.

Chris King From the Home team
minute read

Is buildings insurance a legal requirement if I live in a flat?

No, but most mortgage providers will want you to have it in place before they lend you any money.

I rent my flat – do I need buildings insurance cover

If you're renting, it's your landlord's responsibility to pay for buildings insurance. Find out more about buildings insurance if you rent. But don't forget to take out contents insurance to protect your belongings.

I'm a landlord and own several flats – what kind of buildings insurance policy do I need?

As a landlord, you'll want to make sure you have the right protection for your property and tenants (typical home insurance may not be appropriate to cover a rented property if you're not living there). Landlord insurance is designed to cover rental properties and can combine a number of insurance options, from building and contents insurance to rent protection.

Buildings insurance for flats

What doesn't buildings insurance cover?

It won't protect your possessions, or anything inside the flat. For that you need home contents insurance.

Is my shed covered by buildings insurance?

Buildings insurance covers any permanent fixtures, which can include your shed, as well as your garage and greenhouse. It'll also cover drains, cables and pipes that are your legal responsibility, which is useful when you consider that the cost of fixing a burst pipe can reach £7,500. It will also cover interior fittings like baths, kitchen units and loos.

What should I look out for when buying buildings insurance?

It's worth having a look at the things that aren't covered under the policy – usually known as exclusions. When it comes to buildings insurance, wear and tear, any damage that happens gradually over a prolonged period of time, faulty or poor workmanship and storm damage to fences hedges and gates aren't typically covered.

How much should I insure my flat for?

Your policy should reflect how much your flat would cost to rebuild – not the price you paid for it, or how much it's worth now. And don't forget to review your cover from time to time as rebuild costs tend to rise.

Compare building insurance for flats

Comparing building insurance quotes for flats is simple when you use our comparison service.

50% of people could achieve a quote of £99 per year for their buildings home insurance based on Compare the Market data in May 2018. See what you can save by comparing prices.

What should I look out for when buying buildings insurance?

Compare home insurance

Get a quote in minutes and you could start saving

Get a quote