Compare Home Fire Insurance |

Protect your house and belongings against damage by fire by ensuring you have sufficient home insurance in place.

Will my home insurance cover damage caused by a fire?

If you own your home or have a mortgage, you’ll typically need both buildings and contents insurance to be covered (accidental incidents of fire are largely covered by standard insurance policies without the need to buy additional cover).

Buildings insurance will cover damage to the structure of your home: the walls, roof, ceilings and windows. It will also cover any permanent fixtures and fittings, for example your kitchen and bathroom.

You can protect your possessions with contents insurance. This usually covers fire damage to your furniture, clothing, electrical items and other goods.

What should I do if there’s been a fire?

You should let your insurance provider know as soon as possible and they’ll begin the insurance claim process. If the fire was severe, they’re likely to appoint an insurance loss adjuster to your case, who will:

  • Visit your home and assess the damage
  • Record details of the loss and take photographs
  • Ensure that the site is secure after the fire by having doors and windows boarded up
  • Recommend local repairers
  • Advise you and your insurance provider on the most suitable way to carry out repairs by issuing a full report

Be mindful that large claims for fire can take a long while to resolve. Smoke damage could mean  considerable restoration work is needed and you might have to move out of your house while the work takes place. If that’s the case, your home insurance policy could cover the cost of alternative accommodation.

Related articles

Should I hire a loss assessor to look at my home insurance after a fire?

If the fire is large or the claim complex or disputed, it’s possible to appoint your own expert to work on your behalf.

If you choose to appoint a loss assessor, their role would be to:

  • Meet with representatives of the insurance provider or their appointed loss adjusters on your behalf
  • Help you prepare your claim
  • Negotiate the settlement of the claim
  • Help progress your claim, dealing with delays or potential disputes with your insurance provider or suppliers appointed to the claim

How can I ensure my home is covered?

Making sure you have home building and content insurance in place will give you valuable piece of mind.

Just use our comparison service and we’ll help you find a good-value deal that offers the right level of cover for you. Start a quote with us today to see how much you could save.