Contract deal pros
• Free handset – although technically it’s not really free, you’re paying for it in your monthly fee. Either way it’s a useful method of getting the latest smartphone at a more manageable price.
• Hassle free – you know what you’re getting with a contract and even if you run over your allowance you won’t get cut off and you won’t have to remember to top up your credit.
• Free gifts – Some will offer free gifts. Always a winner and depending on the gift this might be a clincher. Gifts vary but think along the lines of phone accessories like hands free headsets, you might even get deals with free access to digital music services.
Contract deal cons
• Shackled – you’re tied into a particular network provider, potentially for up to two years, which is a long time if reception is poor where you live or you’re itching for a new phone.
• Credit check – you’ll undergo a check on your credit history and if it’s not so glorious, a contract deal may not be on the cards for you.
• Exceeding your allowance – you may not have to worry about running out of minutes but if you go over your allowance you’ll be hit hard with high charges.