[]   Your account

Cycling travel insurance

Cycling travel insurance

There’s nothing like pairing your love of cycling with a holiday, but you’ll want to make sure you have the right travel insurance ahead of your trip.

Patrick Ikhena
From the Travel team
minute read
posted 09 OCTOBER 2019

Does travel insurance cover cycling holidays?

If you’re going on a cycling trip, you may need to think about a specialist travel insurance policy as a standard policy might not give you the cover you need.

Standard travel insurance policies typically offer cover from £1,500 to £3,000 for all your belongings, including your bike, with a single item limit of around £500. This would be the most you could claim if your bike’s stolen or damaged. Cover varies among providers, though, so check what’s offered before you buy.

A standard policy is likely only to cover regular cycling, with exclusions for racing and mountain-biking, making a specialist policy necessary in these cases.

What type of insurance do I need for cycling holidays?

The right type of insurance policy for a cycling holiday depends on a few things. Ask yourself:

How long is my holiday? A specialist bicycle insurance policy usually offers cover for 30, 60 or 90 days. You might choose insurance that lasts for the length of one tour, or for multiple trips (but check any limits on the number of days of each trip or the total number of trips).

Where am I going on my trip? If you’re cycling on the Continent, it’s worth comparing European travel insurance. If you’re going further overseas, you may need a policy with worldwide cover.

Am I covered if I get injured or sick while I’m abroad? You should check you have sufficient medical cover before you go cycling. Without a travel policy that covers the cost of emergency medical treatment, you could face a medical bill of thousands of pounds if you have an accident. If you have a valid European Health Insurance Card** (EHIC), and you’re visiting a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, you could get medical care on the same terms as a local. This means you’d only need to pay for treatment if they do. However the EHIC isn’t a replacement for travel insurance, as our guide explains.

**UK residents can use their EHIC during the Brexit negotiations, until the UK is scheduled to leave the EU on 31 January 2020. The UK Government has proposed a scheme similar to the EHIC in the event that the UK leaves the EU without a deal, and consequently the EHIC no longer being usable. However, the implementation of that scheme is subject to EU countries agreeing to that proposal.

What else should I look for with specialist cycling travel insurance?

Some other things to look for in a specialist policy include:

  • Third party liability, in case you injure someone and they make a claim against you
  • Cover for cycle breakdown and the cost of recovery
  • Damage or loss of your accessories, like your helmet or a GoPro device
  • Cover while you’re in transit. Your bike and bike box could be covered if they’re lost or damaged while on the move
  • Replacement bike hire
    If you're on a cycle tour, check that the cover extends to every country you plan to visit
  • Find out if there’s an excess to pay if you make a claim. This might be about £50. If you lose your helmet, for example, it might not be worth claiming.

Always make sure you’re aware of what’s included in a policy, plus any exclusions, before you buy. Once you’ve got a policy, keep your insurance provider’s details with you in case you need to contact them while you’re away.

What exclusions might there be with my cycling travel insurance?

You’ll need to take good care of your bike during your trip; if you don’t, you could invalidate your insurance. Get a strong lock and remove any accessories when you’re not using your bike. Check if there are any restrictions to where you can leave your bike overnight.

Looking for a quote?

Get a new travel insurance quote in minutes and you could start saving

Get a quote
Compare travel insurance Get a quote

comparethemarket.com uses cookies to offer you the best experience online. By continuing to use our website, you agree to the use of cookies. If you would like to know more about cookies and how to manage them please view our privacy & cookie policy.