Skip to content

Catering van insurance

Getting the right insurance in place is essential if you have a catering van. We take a look at the options...

Getting the right insurance in place is essential if you have a catering van. We take a look at the options...

Written by
Julie Daniels
Motor insurance expert
4 min read
Share article

What type of insurance do I need for a van?

Wherever you’re planning to pitch up your catering van – from a rural festival to a buzzing city street – you’re going to need insurance. There are three levels of van insurance.

  • Third party  The legal minimum level of insurance. This covers any damage you cause to other people and their vehicles, as a result of your driving. But it won’t cover repairs to your van.
  • Third party, fire and theft  This offers the same cover as third party and pays out if your van’s destroyed or damaged by fire, or is stolen.
  • Fully comprehensive  Offers all the features of a third party, fire and theft policy, and you’ll be covered if your van needs to be fixed after an accident.

What cover might I need for my catering van?

Because regular van insurance only covers you for ‘social and domestic’ use, you’d be wise to protect your business with small business insurance. As it’s likely you’ll be dealing with the public, think about getting public liability insurance. This can protect you against claims and legal costs from a person (a member of the public or a client) who suffers injury or damage to their property as a result of your business activity.  

As a catering van driver, you’ll also need to find cover for your vehicle’s fixtures and fittings. If you have an ice cream van, for example, then you may want to insure your fridge in case it breaks down and needs to be replaced. If you cook food, you might want to get cover for your grill or hob.

If you find that regular van insurance doesn’t providers all the cover you need, shop around for an additional policy.  

How might I save on insurance for my catering van?

One way you might save is to compare van quotes from a wide range of providers.  

As a general rule, smaller vans typically attract cheaper premiums so the smaller the vehicle you get the better. A van’s annual mileage will affect the price of cover, so try to use your van for strictly business purposes (where possible).  

Another way you could get a lower premium is to leave your vehicle in a locked garage – it’s considered safer than parking it on the street. Finally, if you have several employees who may need to drive your van, you could save money by naming them individually on a policy, rather than choosing ‘any driver’ insurance.

Why should I buy through Compare the Market?

Choosing a van insurance policy through our website has never been easier. Just let us know what you need and we’ll compare van insurance deals that ensure you get the right level of cover.

Looking for a quote?

Compare van insurance in minutes to see if you can save

Get a quote
Ready to hit the road? Compare prices now Get a quote