Compare teaching insurance

When everything goes well, teaching is one of the most rewarding professions. Having the right teaching insurance could help if things go wrong, from protecting your good name to saving you from serious financial problems.

When everything goes well, teaching is one of the most rewarding professions. Having the right teaching insurance could help if things go wrong, from protecting your good name to saving you from serious financial problems.

Written by
Emily Kindness
Business insurance comparison expert
Last Updated
24 JULY 2023
5 min read
Share article

Do I need teaching insurance?

If you work full-time or part-time in a school, you don’t need teacher insurance.

If you’re a private teacher or tutor who works from home or in pupil’s homes, teaching insurance can provide you with valuable protection and peace of mind. However, it isn’t a legal requirement.

Teaching may not be considered a particularly high-risk occupation, but mistakes and accidents can happen. For example: 

  • A parent makes a claim against you because their child fails their exams.
  • A student trips over and hurts themselves in your home.
  • You provide the wrong information or fail to deliver the tuition your student needs: by failing to complete the syllabus, for example.
  • Allegations of abuse are made against you or an employee. 

Having teaching or tutoring insurance to cover you could reduce the financial impact of unforeseen events like these, and even help restore your professional reputation and get you back on your feet.

If you’re considering tutoring work through an agency, you may also need to have insurance before they’ll put you on their books.

What ​does teaching insurance cover? 

Teacher insurance is a type of business insurance policy, which can be made up of several types of cover. This means you can build your own tailor-made insurance package to cover the risks associated with teaching and tutoring.

Cover types you may want to include with your teaching insurance include: 

Employers’ liability insurance for teachers 

If you employ other tutors or anyone else as part of your business, you’re required by law to take out employers’ liability insurance. This can protect you against legal action and the costs of a compensation claim if an employee is injured or becomes ill because of work they’ve done for you. 

Professional indemnity insurance for teachers 

Professional indemnity insurance, also known as PI insurance, could cover legal expenses and the cost of compensation claims to a client who has lost out as a result of your service, advice or a mistake you made. 

It also applies to acts of defamation. This is when your reputation is damaged by something written (libel) or spoken (slander) that isn’t true. 

In today’s competitive world, the pressure for students to succeed is at an all-time high. If parents believe the tutor is at fault when their child doesn’t get the necessary grades, a claim against your services could be a very real scenario. PI cover could protect you against the legal costs of defending a claim. 

Public liability insurance for teachers 

If you teach students in your own home, their home or premises you’ve hired for teaching purposes, you need to consider public liability insurance for students.  

This can cover you for personal accident claims resulting from a student being injured while in your care or any damage you cause to someone else’s property. For example, a student falls downstairs in your home or you accidentally spill coffee on their laptop. 

Some ​​private tutoring insurance policies will also offer cover if you or an employee are accused of molesting or abusing a student. They may require you to follow a robust safeguarding policy and you may also need to hold an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) certificate.​​​​ 

Business contents insurance 

If you use laptops, tablets, textbooks and other teaching aids in the course of your work, business contents insurance could cover them against damage, loss or theft. 

There are other options too. If you work from home, an existing home contents policy could protect your business property. Check the details of the policy or contact your insurance provider if you’re not sure. Or you may get the cover you need with specific business equipment insurance. 

If you own a dedicated space used specifically for teaching, any furniture, fixtures and fittings may also be covered by business contents insurance, but always check with your insurance provider and read the policy’s small print. 

Small business insurance 

As the name suggests, small business insurance is designed specifically for small businesses rather than large corporations. Talk to your insurance provider about what they offer. 

How can I protect my income if I’m self-employed as a tutor or teacher? 

If you’re self-employed, the following types of insurance for private tutors could protect your income should the unexpected happen:

How much does teaching insurance cost? 

How much your teacher or tutor insurance costs will depend on several things, including the types of cover you add to your policy, along with the level of cover you insure yourself for. 

As a starting point, you could get public liability insurance for £5.16[1] a month. 

To find out how much teaching insurance costs, start by comparing business insurance with us at Compare the Market. 

Start a quote

[1]51% of people could achieve a quote of £5.16 per month for their personal liability business insurance based on the monthly cost when paying for the policy in one annual payment, excluding any interest charged on instalment payments. Based on Compare the Market data in June 2023.

How do I choose teaching insurance?

With us at Compare the Market. Whether you’re looking for individual insurance or a complete business package in one policy, our price comparison service can help you find the right insurance for tutoring you need.

Compare business insurance quotes in minutes to find cover for your teaching business.

Frequently asked questions

Am I covered if I teach students abroad?

Yes, you can get teaching insurance cover if you work abroad, but you must state this to providers when taking out cover.

If you don’t, there’s a risk that you won’t be covered for your teaching abroad.

Are there any restrictions on teaching insurance?

Here are some examples of when you may not be able to get teaching insurance cover: 

  • Teachers employed by a school — full time or part time 
  • Supply teachers 
  • Nursery teachers 
  • Breakfast club and after-school club teachers 
  • Music teachers 
  • Sports instructors — this could be yoga and Pilates instructors, personal trainers or sports coaching 

Looking for business insurance cover?

Compare business insurance from leading insurance providers

Get a quote

Emily Kindness - Business insurance expert

Emily is an expert on all the different types of insurance you could need for your business. With a background in the retail industry, Emily understands the changing and fast paced environments that businesses need to operate in, as well as the importance of having the most up to date information to support them. Emily’s also an expert on landlord insurance.

Learn more about Emily

Get a business insurance quote and you could start saving now Start a quote