What makes Staffordshire Bull Terriers great pets?
The fifth most popular registered dog in the UK, Staffordshire Bull Terriers are strong and amazingly energetic. Although the breed has had bad press for aggression, Staffies are actually very easy going, intelligent and loyal, making them great family pets. Getting the right pet insurance can help keep your dog healthy and happy for years to come.
Do Staffordshire Bull Terriers have known health conditions?
Unfortunately, yes. Hopefully your Staffordshire Bull Terrier will live a long and healthy life, but it’s worth knowing which health conditions the breed can be prone to. These include:
- metabolic problems
- joint problems
- ligament problems.
These conditions can be expensive to treat, since X-rays, tests and surgery may be needed – which is where having the right pet insurance comes in.
What pet insurance options are available?
There are four main types of pet insurance for dogs – and each one has limits on how much it will pay out per condition and/or a yearly limit.
Accident only - This type of cover lets you claim for the costs of treatment following an accident, but not for any costs associated with an illness. This typically makes accident only cover the cheapest option, but you could face steep vet bills if your Staffie becomes unwell.
Time limited - With this type of cover, the amount of time in which you can claim for a particular condition is restricted – usually up to 12 months. If the condition continues after the limited period is up, you’ll need to pay the bills yourself – even if you renew the policy.
Max benefit - This covers a particular condition up to a fixed sum of money, without any time constraints. Once you’ve hit the payout limit, however, you won’t be able to make any more claims for that condition, even if you renew the policy.
Lifetime - This is the most comprehensive type of pet insurance available. It covers injuries, illnesses and accidents, year after year for your Staffie. These policies may also include extras such as dental cover, but the price will reflect the wide-ranging protection offered.
Tips for keeping your Staffordshire Bull Terrier healthy and happy
- Diet: How much your dog eats depends on his size, age and activity level – an active dog will need more in their bowl than a docile hound. Feed your Staffie a balanced diet of natural foods, split into two meals, to give them all the energy they need to stay active throughout the day.
- Exercise: Two half-hour walks or playtimes every day should be enough to keep your Staffie healthy and engaged. Staffordshire Bull Terriers’ short faces make them unsuited to swimming, so try to avoid pools or rivers.
- Staying social: Like humans, your dog needs plenty of social interaction to stay vibrant and confident. Reach out to fellow dog-owners in your area, to provide your pup with regular play dates.
- Vet check-ups: No dog likes a visit to the vet. However, regular check-ups are a must for every breed of dog. Keep up-to-date with your dog’s vaccinations, as well as booking in for regular check-ups, to safeguard your pup’s long-term health. Check which vet treatments you’re likely to be covered for by your pet insurance, with our handy guide.
- Your Staffie’s face: Your Staffordshire Bull Terrier’s short face can make it uncomfortable for them to be in hot or humid conditions for too long. Keep your Staffie in the shade on hot days and make sure he or she has plenty of water.
- Oral health: Brushing your dog’s teeth may seem a little strange, but it’s important to help tackle bad breath and keep periodontal disease at bay. You can also give your dog dental sticks and chews to promote all-round oral hygiene.
Frequently asked questions
What is third party pet insurance and do I need it?
Third party pet insurance, also known as third party public liability insurance, can give offer cover if your dog accidentally injures another pet or a person – or if it damages someone’s property. It’s not a legal requirement, but it can offer you a little peace of mind.
Before you buy a stand-alone policy, though, check what’s included in your pet insurance as many policies include third party cover as standard.
What if my Staffordshire Bull Terrier is lost or stolen?
The loss or theft of a beloved pet can be heartbreaking. To help, some pet insurance policies offer a cash reward to help find your missing dog – or compensation up to the amount you paid for your pet if he or she can’t be found.
Why should I compare pet insurance with Compare the Market?
We can tailor your pet insurance quote to suit your needs. Just tell us about you and your Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and what type of cover you'd like. We'll then search a selection of UK pet insurance providers and give you a list of quotes in price order, with the cheapest pet insurance quotes first.
How much does Staffordshire Bull Terrier insurance cost?
|Average price for Staffordshire Bull Terrier insurance** is
£259.37 per year**
**Average premium based on the average P1-5 prices (5 cheapest prices) for enquiries with a clickthrough. Based on Compare the Market data for 1 October 2020 to 1 January 2021.
What do I need to get a quote?
To compare dog insurance with Compare the Market, you’ll need to tell us:
- your pet’s age and breed
- how much you paid or donated for them
- whether your pet has been neutered or spayed
- whether they’re microchipped.
From the Pet team
What our expert says
“Staffordshire Bull Terriers make loving pets to a caring owner. As a sociable breed, it’s important to give your Staffie regular dog-to-dog and dog-to-human contact from a young age, helping him grow up to be a happy, healthy and confident pup.”
Why use Compare the Market?
|We compare prices for 167 pet insurance products^^||96.8% of users would recommend Compare the Market to friends or family^^^||Get a quote in 3 minutes^^^^|
^^Correct as of November 2020.
^^^For the period 1st September 2020 to 30th November 2020, 740 people responded to the question “When completing a quote using CtM, how did you find it?” 716 responded with ‘easy’ or ‘very easy’ (96.8%).
^^^^On average it can take less than 3 minutes to complete a pet insurance quote through Compare the Market, based on data in November 2020.Start a quote