Skip to content
Sergei in foreground looking concerned at Carl the Wombat who has just accidentally smashed a TV whilst playing a video game. Carl waving in background
A living room with smashed wide screen TV on wall Sergei in foreground looking concerned at Carl the Wombat who has just accidentally smashed a TV whilst playing a video game. Carl waving in background

Home insurance

Don't stress, protect your home for less

  • Meerkat your home insurance to save up to £211[1]
  • Protect your home and belongings with the right cover
  • Plus, enjoy fantastic rewards, on us*

[1] Based on online independent research by Consumer Intelligence during March 2024, 51% of customers could achieve this saving on their Buildings and Contents insurance through Compare the Market.

We compare prices from 41 trusted providers[2], including:

See a full list of our home insurance providers

[2] Correct as of March 2024.

What do our customers say about our Home insurance comparison service?

Based on 28,737 reviews, customers who bought Home insurance rated our comparison service 4.7 out of 5.

Easy to use, great price
Alison • 17/04/2024
Always a great site to find the cheapest insurance
Caterina • 14/04/2024
I found a better deal for my home insurance
Susan • 13/04/2024
Good search engine with nice prices easy to use
Alan • 12/04/2024

What are the different types of home insurance?

There are two types of cover available, buildings insurance and contents insurance. You can take each out separately or buy both from the same provider with a combined policy.

Buildings insurance

Buildings insurance covers the cost of repairing any damage to the structure of your property. This includes things like the roof, walls and floors as well as permanent fittings and fixtures, such as windows or fitted kitchens.

Good for:

✓ Those who need a mortgage

Contents insurance

Contents insurance covers the cost of replacing or repairing your damaged, destroyed or stolen items. Imagine tipping your house upside down - anything that falls out would be contents.

Good for:

✓ Renters
✓ Students
✓ Those living in a block of flats

Buildings & Contents (Combined)

You can get both buildings and contents insurance under one policy from the same provider. This can make it more convenient if you need to make a claim and can often work out cheaper than taking out separate policies.

Good for:

✓ Those who own their own home
✓ Those who live in a house

What does home insurance typically cover?



Burst pipes



It’s always good practice to check the policy before you buy to see exactly what you’re covered for.

Join thousands of Trustpilot reviewers who save with Compare the Market

As of April 2nd 2024, Compare the Market had an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 from 41,487 people who left a review on Trustpilot. The score 4.8 corresponds to the Star Label ‘Excellent’. Find out more

We’ll help you find a better deal for your home insurance renewal next year.

What do I need to get a quote?

We’ll guide you all the way but it’s good to have a few things to hand before you start.

  • Details about your home
  • The cost of rebuilding your home
  • The type of locks on your doors & windows
  • The value of your belongings
  • Details about the people living with you
Author image Alex Hasty

What our expert says...

“Household budgets are being squeezed from rising living costs and, with home insurance premiums on the rise, it’s vital that households look for savings wherever possible. With the difference in cost between the average and cheapest home insurance premium increasing, this means homeowners could make greater savings when switching ahead of renewal. ­­­­­­Shopping around online remains one of the best ways to cut the cost of insurance and households could save significantly if they switch to the cheapest motor and home insurance providers.”

- Alex Hasty, Insurance and finance expert at Compare the Market

Frequently asked questions

What does home insurance cover?

There are a few simple steps you can take to try to reduce the cost of your home insurance:

  • Shop around: Every time your contents and/or buildings insurance comes up for renewal, run a fresh quote at
  • Compare the Market. You may find a provider that can offer you a cheaper policy than your current provider, but with the same level of cover.
  • Consider a combined policy: If you need contents and buildings insurance, you might pay less if you buy both from the same provider.
  • Boost security: Using high-quality locks on your doors and windows, and installing a burglar alarm and smoke alarm, could make your home insurance cheaper.
  • Avoid instalments: If you can afford it, pay your premium upfront in one go. If you opt to pay in monthly instalments, you might be charged interest on top.
  • Increase the excess: If you’re willing to raise the amount you contribute towards a claim, you’ll usually pay a lower premium. But don’t opt to pay more excess than you can afford if you need to claim.
  • Build up a no-claims discount: If you don’t make a claim on your home insurance, you could be rewarded with a discount on your next premium. Generally speaking, the longer you go without claiming, the more you can save. And you’re likely to be able to carry over the discount if you switch to another insurance provider, so make sure you include this when you get a quote.

How high should I set my home insurance excess?

How high you set your home insurance excess depends on how much you can afford. With compulsory excess, your insurance provider sets the amount and you can’t change it. With voluntary excess, you can change the amount. By raising your voluntary excess, your premiums are likely to be cheaper. But don’t set it too high – you want to make sure you can afford to pay both the compulsory and voluntary excess, should you need to make a claim.

Does my credit score affect home insurance?

Having a poor credit score may affect the cost of home insurance. But you’re still likely to be able to find an insurance provider with a policy and price that suits you.

Do I need home insurance add ons?

You may decide you need home insurance add-ons if you think your standard policy doesn’t give you enough cover in specific areas. For example, adding accidental damage to your policy would typically cover things like ink stains on furniture or orange juice stains on the carpet.

How do I find out what kind of door locks I have?

Some home insurance providers need to know which types of door lock you have, because some are considered more secure than others.

  • Five-lever mortice locks are often found on wooden front doors and require a key to both lock and open them. You could receive a discount on your premium if your lock has the British Standard Kitemark on it.
  • Multi-point locking systems are commonly found on uPVC doors. If you need to lift up the handle to lock the door, you’ll probably have one of these. They have a minimum of three locking points that all lock simultaneously with the turn of a key.
  • Night latches are mounted on the surface of a door so aren’t as secure as other types of lock. Their advantage is that they automatically lock the door when it closes. Double-locking night latches are the most secure as they need a key to open the door from inside and outside.

How much cover do I need?

When working out how much buildings insurance to get, remember that you only need to insure the cost of rebuilding your home and not its market value. You can find the rebuild cost of your property in your home survey or by using the rebuilding calculator on the Building Cost Information Service website.

The best way to calculate the value of your home’s contents is to make an inventory of all your possessions. When you get a quote with us, you can use our handy calculator to help you add up the value of the contents in your home, room by room.

Find out more about how to estimate the value of your home contents.

Can I still get home insurance during building work?

If you’re building an extension or carrying out any sort of construction work on your property, you should let your home insurance provider know. While knocking down walls, plumbing work and taking up floors will usually be carried out safely, they all have the potential to cause damage that could lead to an insurance claim.

It’s likely you’ll have to pay more for your premium, both during the construction work itself and afterwards, as an extension will add to the rebuild cost.

If you’re carrying out large-scale renovations to your home, you might need specialist insurance to cover you during the work.