Is there anything else I should consider about shed insurance?
You should try and make an inventory of all the items in your shed – that way you’ll know exactly how much the contents are worth and that will help you decide on the level of cover you need. If you have any single items that are particularly expensive it might be worth making sure that you’ll be covered for those specifically – or think about whether you can store them in your home instead. It’s worth noting that most policies are likely to have a limit to how much cover they offer for theft from outbuildings so make sure you read your terms carefully.
Once you’ve established what your shed contains, you should take a look at its security. Nearly a quarter of all shed owners admit to leaving it unlocked which (let’s be honest) is an open invitation to thieves and could invalidate your insurance. Here are some simple but hopefully effective top tips for keeping sheds secure:
- Invest in a lock – a padlock will make it that bit harder to break into (just don’t leave the key in the lock or under a stone next to the shed)
- Close shed windows – sounds obvious but it’s easily forgotten
- Hide temptation – don’t put expensive items on full view, hide them under dust sheets or better still put up some curtains or black out the windows so prying eyes can’t see what you’ve got
- Plant natural deterrents – because the last thing thieves will want to do in the dark is negotiate their way around a prickly bush
- Lighting – invest in some automatic security lights around sheds and vulnerable areas
So – are you confident that your buildings and contents insurance will cover the cost of your shed or outbuildings? If you’re not, you’re in good company, almost half of all shed owners say they either have no idea if they have any insurance at all or that they couldn’t be certain that their current polices included outbuildings cover.
It’s clear that it’s something worth sorting out so don’t put it off, why not compare the market for buildings and home contents cover and put your mind at rest.