What can pedigree cat insurance cover?
Many people think of pet insurance as a way of covering vet bills and, according to the Association of British Insurers (ABI), most claims are for the cost of treating an accident or illness. However, there are many other things that cat insurance can cover, including:
- Complementary treatments, for example, physiotherapy and alternative medicine
- Cattery fees if you’re unable to look after your cat because you fall ill
- Costs of cancelling your holiday because your cat is ill
- Your cat passing away
- Theft of your cat
- Costs of advertising and offering rewards if your cat goes missing
- Costs of emergency treatment if your cat is taken ill abroad
The last four items in this list could be especially attractive to owners of pedigree cats, who might, for example be at greater risk of having their pet stolen, might travel within the UK and abroad for cat shows and in general might have a cat that’s worth more than your average domestic cat. However, it is important to check your policy to see exactly what is covered.