BMW R1150 bike insurance
The R1150 is an honest straight-delivering Boxer twin, renowned for delivering years of faithful service. It will hold onto its value if it’s looked after well, so give it the level of protection it deserves with the right insurance policy.
The R1150 hit the streets back in 2000, replacing and improving on its older sibling the R1100. During its relatively short production run (it was only produced until 2003), it helped the BMW brand move to challenge its Asian rivals.
Frequently asked questions
What’s the history behind the R1150?
The road-orientated, off-road style bikes of the day, like the Varadero and Caponord, had raised the bar. BMW responded by rolling out the R1150, which had a bigger engine than its predecessor at 1130cc and boosted the power by 5 bhp to 85 bhp.
The air- and oil-cooled 8v Boxer twin also had a new 6th gear, allowing it to cruise at speed more effectively. Its chassis looked smarter too, new asymmetric headlights adding a distinctive look.
For bikers keen to ride through rougher terrain, the R1150GS Adventure was added. More rugged than its cruiser relative, the Adventure had beefed-up suspension, larger mud guards and a higher-capacity fuel tank.
While some critics argue that it’s heavy and sluggish compared to rivals, the R1150GS sold well thanks to its combination of style, substance and practicality. And of course it paved the way for the R1200GS, the dual-sport that has become one of BMW’s greatest all-time hits.
Looking at other BMW options? See average premiums for popular BMW bikes.
What affects my insurance costs?
The actual price you’ll pay depends on a number of factors, including:
- The actual motorbike you’re riding. The model, age and value of your Ducati will all make a difference to your coverage price.
- How old you are and how much experience you have. Younger, less experienced riders typically pay more for their bike insurance.
- The postcode where you live, and where you physically keep the bike when you’re not riding it. Adding security features and keeping your bike in a locked garage can help keep your premiums down.
- How often you use your bike. If you ride relatively few miles, you’re less of a risk than someone who rides frequently or over long distances. Restricting your mileage is a way of ensuring that you don’t pay more for your insurance than you need to, but make sure you give an accurate estimation.
- Your occupation. Some professions are considered higher risk than others, so if yours falls into this category you may find that you are quoted a higher premium than other lower risk occupations.
What policy options are available for my motorbike?
You might want to include add-ons like breakdown cover for a little extra security.
You can also add extra cover for your helmet and leathers to protect these vital investments.
How can I find an insurance quote for a BMW R1150 or R1150GS?
Whether it’s the classic cruiser or the rugged off-road version, we can help you find great value bike insurance for your BMW R1150 or R1150GS.
To get a quote on our website, just answer a few questions about yourself and your bike, and we’ll generate a list of quotes from leading insurance providers. Give us details of any security features, and you may reduce your premium.
Start a motorbike insurance quote today and see how much money you could save on your BMW R1150’s annual costs.