Skip to content

Young riders moped and motorbike insurance

  • Enjoy a year of fantastic rewards on us*.

Compare young riders motorbike insurance

Want to escape being chauffeured around by your parents and get some freedom? Motorbikes, mopeds and scooters are a great way to get around, without breaking the bank. Here's what you need to know about getting your hands on cheap motorbike insurance for young riders.

What is moped insurance?

While a moped might look different to a motorbike, you’ll need motorbike insurance to cover you and your moped. A moped is a motorbike that’s up to 50cc in power, and they traditionally used a pedal to get the engine started. Hence the name ‘moped’. If you’ve just got your first set of wheels, we can help you compare 50cc moped insurance for 16-year-olds.

While it falls under motorbike insurance, mopeds are usually cheaper to insure. This is because they have smaller engines, are slower and normally less valuable when compared to motorbikes. However, they’re usually driven by young riders, and age is a factor in the cost of your insurance. That’s why moped insurance for 16-year-olds can be more expensive than for a more experienced rider.

What are you allowed to ride at 16-years-old?

You can start riding a 50cc moped/bike after successfully completing your Compulsory Basic Training (CBT), with a provisional licence, at 16 years old.

Generally, young riders are classed as being under 25 years old. There are restrictions on the type of motorbike young riders can ride, as well as the type of licence they can hold.

Insurance premiums are usually based on experience and how much of a risk you are on the road, so young bikers tend to get a rough ride when insuring their first set of wheels. To help you get a better deal, we can compare motorbike and moped insurance for 16-year-olds.

Types of motorbike and moped insurance for young riders

The levels of motorbike and moped insurance available are the same as for car insurance:

  • Third-party – the minimum legal requirement, this covers damage to other people’s vehicles and property
  • Third-party, fire and theft – the same as above, but also covers your bike/moped against fire damage and theft
  • Comprehensive – covers your bike/moped against damage, fire and theft, as well as other people’s vehicles and property

There are also a variety of policy extras you can take out for additional cover.

Motorbike and moped insurance extras

These are some of the policy options that might be included as standard with many insurance providers. With others, they may be optional add-ons, but they’re all useful for bikers.

  • Breakdown cover – if your motorbike or moped breaks down, you’ll be rescued by roadside assistance as a minimum
  • Legal expenses insurance – your legal costs could be covered if you’re involved in a road accident and need to make a claim, or if a driver makes a claim against you
  • Personal accident cover – if you’re injured in an accident you could be paid a lump sum to help you through any resulting financial difficulties
  • Helmet and leathers cover – bikers’ gear can be expensive, so this can cover the cost of replacements if they’re damaged in an accident.

How much is motorbike/moped insurance for 16-year-olds?

According to Comparethemarket’s latest data, 51% of young riders between 16–17 years old could achieve a quote of £1,300[1] a year for their motorbike insurance.

When calculating the cost of your insurance premium, your age is one of the main factors that providers will consider. As a younger rider, you’ll have less experience and, as such, you’ll be considered a higher risk. Unfortunately, this means your premiums may be more expensive.

Other factors that can affect the cost of your premium include:

  • the type of job you do
  • where you live
  • the type of motorbike licence you have
  • your riding and claims history
  • how many miles you ride
  • whether you use your bike for commuting during rush-hour traffic
  • your bike’s value
  • the make, model and engine size of your bike
  • where you store your bike
  • any bike modifications you’ve made
  • security features

Read more on how motorbike insurance is calculated.

[1] 51% of young riders between 16-17 years old could achieve a quote of less than £1,299.88 per year for bike insurance based on Compare the Market data in March 2024.

Why should I compare motorbike and moped insurance?

Comparing cheap motorbike insurance for young riders is always a good idea. There are plenty of different providers out there. That’s why it pays to shop around, to make sure you’re getting a good-value policy. If you’re new to the road, we can compare 50cc moped insurance for 16-year-olds too.
We offer quick and easy motorcycle insurance comparison to help you find a range of quotes, so you can get the insurance policy that's right for you.

Start a quote

What do I need to get a quote?

To get a quote, you’ll need to give us some basic information about you and your bike or moped, including:

  • your personal details, including age, job and address 
  • bike details including age, value, make and model 
  • the type of licence you have 
  • your average annual mileage 
  • where you store your bike or moped
  • the type of cover you want 
  • any extras you want to add 
  • claims history

As soon as we have all the details we require, we’ll send you a list of suitable quotes to compare. You’ll be able to check the features of each policy, to help you find the right deal to suit your needs.

Start a quote
Author image Julie Daniels

What our expert says...

“Unlike car insurance, most insurance providers don’t offer special discount policies for young riders. This means you should expect to pay more for your moped or motorbike insurance when you first start out.

“But by riding safely and responsibly, you could start to build up a no-claims bonus by the end of the first year. Over time, this could help to bring down the cost of your premium.

“Shopping around and comparing quotes can also be a great way to get a cheaper deal.”

- Julie Daniels, Motor insurance expert

Frequently asked questions

How do I get cheap motorbike and moped insurance?

As a young rider, your age goes against you when it comes to finding cheaper motorbike insurance. This is especially true if you’re looking for moped insurance for 16-year-olds who are just getting started. But there are some things that could help cut the cost of your premium:

  • Choose a bike with a smaller engine – a less powerful bike with a lower top-end speed is considered less of a risk, than a more expensive model with a larger engine. For example, getting 50cc moped insurance can be cheaper than 125cc motorbike insurance.
  • Storing your bike safely overnight on a driveway and off the street could reduce the risk of theft or damage – which could mean a cheaper premium.
  • Consider taking a motorbike training course – some insurance providers offer a discount to riders who’ve taken an accredited riding safety course.
  • Don’t make any unapproved modifications to your bike that could increase its speed or value.
  • Keep the miles down – the less time you spend on the road, the lower your risk of having an accident.
  • Increase your voluntary excess – this could reduce the cost of monthly insurance payments. Just make sure you can afford the higher excess if you need to make a claim.
  • Adding an older, more experienced rider to your policy could help you get a lower premium. Just make sure you’re named as the main rider if you use the bike most of the time. Otherwise, you could be charged with fronting, which is a type of fraud.
  • Only pay for what you need – adding unnecessary extras can hike up your premium. For example, there’s no point in paying for pillion cover if you don’t take passengers.
  • Shop around – by comparing a range of quotes you’ve a better chance of finding the cover you need, at a good price.

Do I need insurance if I’ve only got a provisional licence?

If you ride on public roads, even with a provisional licence, you’ll still need to have moped or motorcycle insurance.  
If you’re taking a course at a professional training centre, you may be covered by their insurance. Make sure you check before you begin.

Does motorbike insurance cover my helmet and riding gear?

Most motorcycle or moped insurance policies don't cover helmets and protective riding gear as standard. But in most cases, you'll be able to add helmet and leathers as an optional extra.

Helmet and leathers cover typically includes:

  • helmets 
  • leathers 
  • protective clothing 
  • motorcycle gloves 
  • motorcycle boots

Considering how expensive helmets and riding gear can be to replace, it could be worth paying for the extra cover. Depending on the policy you choose, you could get cover for up to £1,000 for your riding gear.

What types of motorbike licences are there?

There are different types of motorbike licence for people of varying ages, experience and types of bike.  
First, you’ll need a provisional Category A licence – this just tells the DVLA that you’re a new rider. You’ll then need to take a theory and practical test for each licence.

  • If you’re 16 or over – AM Moped licence: This means you can ride a motorbike, moped or scooter up to 50cc.
  • If you’re 17 or over – A1 Motorcycle licence: This means you can ride a motorbike or scooter up to 125cc.
  • If you’re 19 or over – A2 Motorcycle licence: This means you can ride a motorbike up to 500cc engine size.
  • If you’re 21 or over – Unrestricted A Motorcycle licence: This means you can ride any size and power of motorcycle or scooter.

If you’re 17 or over, you can ride a bike up to 125cc after you complete your Compulsory Basic Training (CBT), without the need to take your full licence. That is, as long as you have L-plates on the bike.  
This can mean a slightly more expensive insurance premium though, because as long as you’re on a provisional licence, you’ll be classed as a learner rider.

How can I compare young riders bike insurance?

To find the right motorbike insurance quotes for you, we’ll need some details about you and your bike. These may include: 
About you 

  • name 
  • address 
  • marital status 
  • job 
  • email address 
  • riding history – whether you have a full or provisional licence and how long you’ve been riding for, including any claims or driving convictions

About your bike 

  • make and model 
  • registration number – if you haven’t bought it yet or can’t remember the reg, you can select the type of bike manually using our lists 
  • the year it was manufactured 
  • any modifications after manufacture 
  • the value of your motorcycle
  • the date you bought it

If you haven’t yet bought a bike because you haven’t made up your mind about the right model, it’s still worth comparing your options. You’ll be able to see what impact your potential choice could have on your insurance premium, and factor this into your annual running costs.  
To see more about the most popular motorcycle makes and models, check out our Motorbike Manufacturers page.

Page last reviewed on 19 APRIL 2024
by Julie Daniels