[]   Your account

Commercial van insurance

Commercial van insurance

If you rely on your van for work, you’ll want to take out commercial van insurance. This will help make sure your business runs smoothly should you have an accident, or your van is stolen. 

Daniel Hutson
From the Motor team
minute read
posted 4 OCTOBER 2019

Do I need commercial van insurance?

It depends on how you use your van. If you use it for work in any way, including travel to or from more than one location, you’ll need commercial van insurance (or van insurance for business use). But if you only use your van at weekends or for social visits, you’ll need social, domestic and pleasure cover. 

What types of commercial van insurance are available?

You can compare quotes with us for two types of commercial van insurance: 

  • carriage of own goods – this covers you if you use your van to carry business goods – say, the tools of your trade if you’re a builder, plumber, gardener or carpenter. You’ll also be covered for social, domestic and pleasure use
  • haulage (carriage of goods for hire and reward) – this type of insurance covers you if you use for van to carry someone else’s goods for payment – for example, if you’re a delivery driver. Again, you’ll be covered for social, domestic and pleasure use

Always check your policy to see if it covers the contents of your van if they’re stolen, or if you have an accident. If it doesn’t, you may need additional goods-in-transit insurance. It’s also worth seeing if the company you’re delivering for has you covered. 

Neither of these types of insurance cover the carriage of passengers – for that you’ll need specific taxi insurance. 

What level of van insurance should I choose?

As with car insurance, there are three levels of van insurance. To get the right level of cover, consider how you use the van:

  • third party only – the minimum legal requirement. Third party insurance covers you for any damage you cause to other people and their vehicles. But it won’t cover repairs to your own van, your own medical expenses, or theft from your van
  • third party fire and theft – offers the same level of protection as above, but third party fire and theft also covers you if your van is stolen or damaged by fire
  • comprehensive – includes all the benefits of third party fire and theft, but comprehensive will also protect you as a driver and pay out for any damage to your van.

Does my van insurance cover my tools and equipment?

Van insurance doesn’t usually include as standard any cover for tools and equipment stolen from your van or damaged in an accident. But most insurance providers will let you insure them either as an add-on or under a separate policy. This is worth investigating as van thefts are on the rise – in the UK thieves are breaking into vans and stealing tools every 23 minutes.  

Just be aware that some policies won’t cover your tools if you leave them in your van overnight. You’ll find more information in our guide, Does my van insurance cover tools?

What should I look for in commercial van insurance? 

Depending on what’s important to you, you might want to consider the following: 

  • windscreen cover – some insurance providers include windscreen cover as standard; others add it as an optional extra
  • misfuel cover – filling your van with the wrong type of fuel can be a costly mistake, as you’ll have to pay for the tank to be emptied and the fuel properly disposed of. Then you’ll need to refill the tank. Misfuel cover is typically available as an optional add-on
  • trailer cover – this covers you for loss or damage to a trailer
  • breakdown cover – if you rely on your van for work, breaking down on the way to a job could cost your business lost revenue. Breakdown cover could help you get to the job in hand
  • courtesy van – this might prove invaluable if your van is out of action for any reason

Looking for a quote?

Compare van insurance in minutes to see if you can save

Get a quote
Ready to hit the road? Compare prices now Get a quote

comparethemarket.com uses cookies to offer you the best experience online. By continuing to use our website, you agree to the use of cookies. If you would like to know more about cookies and how to manage them please view our privacy & cookie policy.