Learner motorbike insurance

Get a whole year of Meerkat Meals and Meerkat Movies* when you buy through us 

Comparing learner motorbike insurance

Comparing learner motorbike insurance quotes through us couldn’t be easier and only takes a few minutes. Just give us some details about you and the bike you want to insure. We’ll also need to know how long you’ve been riding for and whether you hold a full or provisional licence.

How much does motorbike insurance cost?

The price you’ll pay for motorbike insurance depends on several factors including: 

  • What bike you ride 
  • Your age  
  • Your occupation – and if you’ll be using your bike for work 
  • How much you ride 
  • Where you live 
  • Where you keep your bike overnight 
  • How you secure your bike  
  • Whether you want to include other named riders on your policy.  

Based on Comparethemarket data, you could achieve the following quote for your bike, moped or scooter: 

Engine size Price up to
50cc £416[1]
125cc £560[2]


[1] 51% of our customers were quoted less than £415.69 for their 50cc bike insurance in Noevember 2022.

[2] 51% of our customers were quoted less than £559.16 for their 125cc bike insurance in November 2022.

Start a quote

What do I need to get a quote?

To get a quote, you’ll need to answer a few basic questions about you and your bike, including: 

  • Your name, age, address and job 
  • The type of licence you have 
  • Your riding history including any claims and convictions 
  • Your average annual mileage 
  • Bike details including make, model, age and value. 

Once we have the details we need, we’ll show you a list of suitable quotes for learner riders. 

Get a quote

Why use Comparethemarket?

Get a quote in 6 minutes[3] We compare prices for 26 bike insurance products[3] 


[3] Correct as of December, 2022.

Start a quote

What types of learner motorbike insurance are available?

Motorbike insurance is a legal must, no matter your age or the size of bike you own. 

As a learner rider, you’ll need standard motorcycle, moped or scooter insurance. 

Just like car insurance, there are three levels of cover to choose from: 

  • Third party – the most basic type of cover that you need to legally ride on the road. It covers injuries to another person and damage to their vehicle, but not to you or your bike. 
  • Third party, fire and theft – as well as third party protection, you’ll also be covered if your bike is stolen or damaged by fire. 
  • Fully comprehensive – the highest level of cover, which includes cover for damage to your bike or injuries to you. In most cases, it will also cover the cost of a replacement bike if yours is written off in an accident. 

How much is learner rider insurance?

Motorbike insurance can be expensive for learners because as a new rider, you’re less experienced and considered more of a risk on the road. 

If you’re a young rider just starting out, your premiums are bound to be higher.  

According to Comparethemarket’s latest data, 51% of young riders between 16 and 17 years old could achieve a quote of up to £957[4] a year for their motorcycle insurance. 

Once you pass your test and get a little experience under your belt, you can expect to pay less. The DVSA offers enhanced rider assessment and training to help you become a safer rider, which can help to reduce your premiums. Our latest data show that over half of licenced riders could get a quote of up to £481[5] per year for their motorbike insurance.  

Find out what else can affect the cost of your motorbike insurance

[4] 51% of our young riders between 16-17 years old were quoted less than £956.17 for their bike insurance in November 2022.

[5] 51% of our customers were quoted less than £480.79 for their bike insurance in November 2022.

Frequently asked questions

What bikes can I ride on a provisional licence?

Once you’ve completed a Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) course, you can ride a: 

  • moped up to 50cc if you’re 16 or over 
  • motorbike or scooter up to 125cc if you’re 17 or over 

You must also use L-plates and have valid motorbike insurance in place.

What bikes can I ride on a full licence?

You’ll need to pass a theory and practical test to get a full licence. The licence you can get will depend on your age and the power of the bike you want to ride: 

Once you’ve held your A2 licence for two years, at 21 you can apply to get a full A licence. This will entitle you to ride a motorbike of any size. If you don’t have an A2 licence, you’ll have to wait until you’re 24 before you can get a full A motorbike licence.

How do I apply for a provisional licence?

You can apply for a provisional licence from the DVLA online. To apply you must be:

  • At least 15 years and 9 months old 
  • Capable of reading a number plate from 20 metres away 

A first provisional licence costs £34 if you apply online or £43 when you apply by post. It should take about a week to arrive if you apply online.

What is CBT?

Compulsory Basic Training isn’t a test that you can technically pass or fail. It’s a course you have to successfully complete to show that you can ride safely on the road while preparing for your full licence. 

A CBT certificate lasts for two years. If you don’t want to take a full moped or scooter licence test and want to continue to ride on your provisional licence, you’ll need to renew it every two years. 

You can be fined up to £1,000 and get as many as six penalty points if you ride without a valid CBT certificate.

Do I need insurance to ride the bikes at a motorbike school?

If you’re learning how to ride a bigger bike at a professional motorbike school, or you’re taking your CBT course, you’ll be covered by the school’s insurance so long as you ride the bikes provided by them. If you bring and use your own bike you’ll need to have your own insurance in place.

Can I carry passengers on my motorbike as a learner?

No, you’ll need to get your full licence before you can ride with a pillion passenger.

Does the cost of insurance differ between a 50cc and 125cc bike?

125cc motorbikes are more powerful and usually more expensive than 50cc motorcycles. This means they’re normally more expensive to insure. 50cc and 125cc bikes are designed for and common with learner or younger drivers. They’re for riders who have completed their CBT, but don’t have their full motorbike licence. In terms of insurance, the bikes are usually lower in value, which is good for insurance, but their connection to learner and less experienced drivers means that you can still expect to pay more.

How can I cut the cost of my learner motorbike insurance?

There are some things that could help to lower the cost of your premium: 

  • Keep your bike safely parked overnight, off the road and in a garage or on a driveway 
  • Avoid any modifications that could increase your bike’s speed or value 
  • If you can share the bike with a more experienced rider, add them to your policy – just make sure you’re named as the main rider 
  • Keep your mileage down – the less time you spend on the road, the less likely you are to have an accident 
  • Install an approved alarm system or lock to increase your bike’s security 
  • Once you’ve got your licence you can take training courses to reduce your premiums 
  • Shop around and compare a range of quotes before deciding on a policy.

What insurance do I need if I’m riding a moped in later life?

While learner motorbike drivers tend to be younger, there’s nothing stopping you from learning to ride later in life. Because of this, you should have little problem finding learner motorbike insurance as an older driver. In fact, you might find that being older makes your insurance cheaper.

Author image Julie Daniels

What our expert says...

“If you’re only just starting out and haven’t bought a bike yet, it might be a good idea to compare 50cc and 125cc engines. Opting for a smaller engine at first could mean paying less for your insurance premium.”

- Julie Daniels, Motor insurance expert