125cc bike insurance

  • Buy 125cc bike insurance for up to £560 per year[1]
  • Enjoy a whole year of Meerkat Meals & Meerkat Movies*
Start a new quote Go to your account

[1] 51% of our customers were quoted less than £559.16 for their 125cc bike insurance in November 2022.

Compare 125cc motorbike insurance

A 125cc motorbike offers a cost-effective way to get on the road. Whether it’s a supermoto, scooter or sports bike, they’re cheap to run and insurance doesn’t have to cost the earth.

We’ve made comparing 125cc motorbike insurance quotes online as fast and painless as possible.

You’re in great company as a 125cc bike rider. There are many reasons to love this mode of transport, and cheaper insurance is just one of them.

At a glance

  • Find great value insurance for your 125cc bike
  • Passing your test could mean cheaper insurance than staying on a provisional licence
  • Shop around and compare quotes to save money on your 125cc insurance

What is a 125cc bike? 

A 125cc bike is a small motorbike or scooter with a 125cc engine and a top speed of around 70 mph. 125ccs are ideal for getting around the city, while still being capable of handling some longer journeys on bigger roads.

Averaging around 70-100 miles per gallon, 125cc bikes are economical to run, which makes them particularly popular with younger and learner riders.

Can I ride a 125cc motorbike on a provisional licence? 

125cc bikes can be ideal for learners aged 17 or over, as you can ride one on a provisional licence. It’s perfectly legal to ride a 125cc once you’ve completed your compulsory basic training (CBT), as long as you have L plates and insurance.

The CBT isn’t a test that you pass or fail. It’s a course designed to make sure you can ride safely on the roads on your own. The course, which includes on-site and on-road training, usually takes a full day to complete and costs around £90 to £150 – although this could vary between training centres.

A CBT certificate is a legal requirement if you ride on a provisional licence. If you don’t have a valid CBT, you could be fined up to £1,000 and get up to six penalty points. Also, be aware that you can’t ride on motorways or carry passengers on a provisional licence.

You can hold a provisional licence and keep riding your 125cc bike for as long as you want, without taking the full licence test. However, you’ll have to retake and complete the CBT every two years.

The bad news is that even if you’ve been riding for years on a provisional licence, you’ll still be considered a learner, which could push up your insurance premium. The good news? You can still earn a no-claims discount (NCD) on your provisional licence, so all those years do count for something.

What insurance do I need for a 125cc bike? 

There are three levels of cover to choose from: 

  • Third party – this most basic type of cover is a legal requirement. It covers damage to another person’s property and injuries caused to them, but not to you or your bike.
  • Third party, fire and theft – the same as third party, but it can also provide additional cover if your bike is stolen or damaged by fire.
  • Comprehensive – this includes all the above features, plus cover for accidental damage to your bike. In most cases, it will also cover the cost of a replacement bike if yours is written off in an accident. It could also provide personal accident cover but it doesn’t always, so you need to check the terms and conditions with your provider.

What’s not covered by 125cc motorbike insurance? 

A standard motorbike insurance policy won’t typically cover:

  • Other passengers – even if you have a full motorbike licence, you might find a standard policy won’t cover any passengers that ride with you. To ensure they have the protection they need, you’ll need to take out extra pillion cover. Just be aware that it’s illegal to take passengers if you only have a provisional licence.
  • Modifications – any modifications to your bike made after manufacture must be declared to your insurance provider. If the changes aren’t listed under your provider’s ‘acceptable standard modifications’, you may need additional cover. Major changes might also need to be declared to the DVLA.
  • Tyre damage – check your policy carefully as punctures, burst tyres and general tyre wear aren’t usually covered.
  • Track days – it’s unlikely that your standard policy will cover motorbike track days. If you want to take your 125cc to a circuit, you’ll need specialist motorbike track day insurance. Also, be aware that there are usually age and licence type restrictions for participating in track days.

What extra cover can I get for a 125cc motorbike? 

Optional cover can vary between providers, so it’s a good idea to check what the policy includes when comparing quotes. Some providers might include extra cover as standard, while others give you the option of adding them to your policy. 

Common add-ons include: 

  • Breakdown cover – you’ll be able to call for roadside assistance as a minimum, if your bike breaks down.
  • Legal expenses insurance – if you’re involved in a road accident and need to make a claim, or if a driver makes a claim against you, this could cover all or some of the legal costs.
  • No-claims discount protection (also known as no-claims bonus protection) – this varies between providers. Typically, it allows you to make one or two claims before the number of no-claims bonus years reduces. It doesn’t always mean your premium won’t increase after an accident though.
  • Personal accident cover – you could receive a lump-sum payout if you’re injured in an accident and this puts you in financial difficulty. Check that the level of cover offered is suitable for you, as it can vary between providers.
  • Helmet and leathers cover – this can insure your essential, expensive gear if it’s damaged in an accident and you need to repair or replace any of it.

125cc motorbike insurance on a full licence 

If you’re over 17 and you’ve passed your CBT, motorbike theory and practical tests, you’ll be the proud owner of a full A1 licence

You could potentially get a cheaper price on your insurance by taking extra riding qualifications. These show providers that you have the riding skills and awareness that could reduce the risk of an accident. You’ll have to compare the costs to see if this is worth the extra effort in the long run. See more in our guide to reducing motorbike insurance by taking training courses.

Make sure you let your insurance provider know when you’ve passed your test as it will affect your cover. As you’re no longer classed as a ‘learner’, you may get a better insurance price.

Frequently asked questions

Does the type of licence I have affect my insurance cost?

If you’re using a provisional licence, you might find that your premiums are more expensive than a rider with a full licence. But there are other factors that might affect the cost of your insurance too, including: 

  • Your ageyounger riders will pay more than the average, as insurance providers see them as higher risk.
  • Where you live – the amount of crime in your area can affect your premiums.
  • The amount of mileage you do – the more you ride, the more likely you are to have an accident.
  • Your job – some jobs are considered riskier than others.
  • Your voluntary excess – this is the payment you make towards a claim on your insurance along with the compulsory excess. A higher voluntary excess could mean lower premiums. Just make sure you can afford to pay it if you make a claim. 

See more on what factors affect the cost of motorbike insurance.

Can I take a passenger on a 125cc motorbike?

If you’re using a provisional licence, it’s against the law to take a passenger on the back of your 125cc motorbike.

Once you’ve passed your full test and have an A1 licence, you can remove your L plates and carry passengers. However, you should check your insurance policy, as you may need extra pillion cover. This covers your passenger against personal injury while they’re riding with you.

Can I ride a 125cc motorbike on the motorway?

Unlike a 50cc moped or scooter, you can ride a 125cc motorbike on the motorway – but only once you pass your motorbike test and have at least an A1 licence.

It’s illegal to ride on the motorway with a provisional licence.

Can I ride a 125cc motorbike on a car driving licence?

Yes, you can ride a 125cc on a full UK driving licence, but you’ll need to take your compulsory basic training (CBT) first.

You’ll also have to use L plates, and you won’t be able to carry passengers or ride on the motorway until you take and pass your motorbike theory and practical test. If you decide not to take your motorbike test, you’ll need to repeat the CBT every two years to continue riding your 125cc.

How can I get cheaper 125cc motorbike insurance?

There’s a few ways to help cut the cost of your 125cc motorbike insurance

  1. Pass your test – by passing your test, you’ll no longer be classed as a learner. This could give you access to cheaper premiums and a greater choice of insurance providers.
  2. Improve your riding skills – taking an advanced riding course after your test could help to improve your riding skills and safety awareness on the road. Tell your insurance provider before you sign up for further training, as you might be eligible for a cheaper premium.
  3. Avoid modifications – any tweaks or changes that could enhance your bike’s performance or increase its value could bump up the price of your premium. Check with your insurance provider before going ahead with any modifications.
  4. Keep your bike secure – storing your bike in a secure garage and fitting Thatcham-approved security devices could get you a cheaper premium. Check with your insurance provider as you may be eligible for a discount.
  5. Pay annually – paying upfront in one go could work out cheaper than monthly repayments that typically come with extra interest.
  6. Increase your voluntary excess – agreeing to a higher voluntary excess could get you a cheaper premium. Just make sure you can afford it if you need to make a claim.
  7. Shop around – shopping around and comparing quotes is one of the best ways to find a policy with the right level of cover at a price that suits you.

About Compare the Market 

We know comparing insurance and utilities isn’t much fun. So at Compare the Market it’s all about keeping it simple. We help you find the right product at the right price. And you can trust us to be impartial – we only make money when you switch or take out a new product, so it’s in our interests to help you make the right choice. Comparing with us is about the enjoyable stuff too – we love to reward you with Meerkat Meals and Meerkat Movies when you take out selected products with us.*

Good things happen when you Meerkat 

Search for the right insurance for you, at the right price, with our comparison service. Plus, we could help you save on broadband, mobile phones, credit cards, mortgages, loans and more. 

  • See if you can save time and money when you use our helpful tools
  • Feel organised when you manage all of your quotes in one place 

Get rewarded with Meerkat Meals and Meerkat Movies when you compare and take out qualifying products* 

Helping you is the heart of our business
We make money when we’ve helped you switch or take out a new deal. When you’ve found your new supplier or provider through us, we get a fee or commission from them. The amount we receive doesn’t change the price you pay.

Impartial results from top providers
So you can see our cheapest deals, we order our results from the lowest to highest with no bias towards providers. We work with many of the UK's top providers to find you great deals.

Find out more on our About us page.
Got a question? Contact us 

How much does 125cc motorbike insurance cost?

You could get 125cc bike insurance for less than £560[1] Young riders could get bike insurance for less than £957[2]

[1] 51% of our customers were quoted less than £559.16 for their 125cc bike insurance in November 2022.

[2] 51% of our young riders between 16-17 years old were quoted less than £956.17 for their bike insurance in November 2022.

Bike or scooter, learner or old hand, there’s a great value 125cc insurance policy waiting for you.

Find and compare motorbike insurance quotes

What do I need to get a quote? 

To get a 125cc motorbike insurance quote, we’ll need  standard information including your  name, address and bike make, model and reg. We’ll also need your  marital status, employment status and email address. 

We’ll also need a few other details: 

  • The  year your bike was manufactured 
  • Any modifications  added after manufacture 
  • The  value of your motorcycle  and  the date you bought it, if you’re a new owner 
  • How long you’ve had your full or provisional  motorbike licence 
  • Any  claims or convictions 
  • Any  additional riders, and details of any claims and convictions they may have had 
  • Any  special security devices  you carry or have had fitted to your motorbike.
Start a quote

Why use Compare the Market?

We compare prices for 26 bike insurance products[3]

Rated 4.8/5 On Trustpilot[4]

[3] Correct as of December 2022.

[4] As of January 2023 Compare the Market had an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 from 23,670 people who left a review on Trustpilot. The score 4.8 corresponds to the Star Label ‘Excellent’.

Author image Julie Daniels

What our expert says...

"Some insurance providers will charge a larger compulsory excess if you're an inexperienced rider. That's the sum you'll have to pay towards a fault claim. However, there are ways of cutting the cost of your 125cc bike insurance. Keeping your bike secure and mileage low could help reduce the cost of your premium, as could shopping around and comparing quotes."

- Julie Daniels, Motor insurance expert